Counted the tree species on my land...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
38 in total that I can identify. There are a few others that I don't know but not in significant numbers.

Going to photograph each of them to fully document my forestry! :D

http://sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/list-of-tree-species-at-old-farm.html

Have a growing list of trees that I want to plant next Winter - sweet chestnut and black locust being two that will be planted in larger numbers, the latter around the perimeter

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
38 is an impressive total. If they were all native species that would be every native UK tree species, and two more besides! I'd be interested in that list, just to see what you have. Nice blog too, by the way.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Sweet chestnut - want loads for timber & nuts.

Red oak, for the foliage

Black locust - for the timber & blossom

Almond & walnut for the nuts

Various other bizarre species too (Siberian pea, for example)

Interested in edibles so will be planting more fruit - would be wonderful to have a glut to swap for vegetables etc. or just to feed the family

Are there really that few native species in the UK?

Only just started the blog - needs a lot of work but it's a way to keep track of what I've done, for my benefit really, and if it helps others to get inspired & start growing then that's terrific.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Theres lots of interesting species that can be "dotted in" Wild Service, True Service, Mulberry etc. Its great fun to drop in a Holm Oak just to up your species count (and protect a rare tree in the bargain)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'd plant almost anything! I know you're a fan of the service tree - definitely room for some if my damp, acidic soil will support them (I thought they preferred chalky soil, one of the reasons I cancelled my whitebeam order)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Mulberry is on the list, along with wax myrtle. Trying to germinate some royal poinciana too

With a warmer climate I'd grow the ice-cream bean and chocolate pudding plant.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Are you including woody shrubs in that lot? Things like spindle, wayfaring tree, blackthorn for sloes, guilder rose, etc?

Spindle & blackthorn already there. Guelder rose is a possibility, although it's not human edible (I know spindle isn't either). I'd like blueberry too and am going to build a paddy field to grow rice ;)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Spindle & blackthorn already there. Guelder rose is a possibility, although it's not human edible (I know spindle isn't either). I'd like blueberry too and am going to build a paddy field to grow rice ;)

Guelder rose is edible if you mix it with other stuff. Its problem is that on its own it doesn't taste very nice, but I've had it in a mixed berry jam with no ill effects and it is very high in vitamin C. Consider Sea Buckthorn too, although it can be invasive if left uncontrolled.

Near me I have healthy specimens of Golden rain tree, aka Pride of India, and Osage Orange, and our soil is pretty damp and acid too, so they might work for you. There was Black locust growing there until it came down last winter. Also tulip tree.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Is sea buckthorn the same as seaberry? That's on the list too :D

I'm sure in the SE there are many unusual species that could be grown. Expensive to buy unless you start from seed, though

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I might be able to get some seed from the Pride of India later in the year if you remind me. It produces lots of seed pods. How well it would germinate etc is beyond my knowledge, but it could be worth a try.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I too counted the tree species on my backyard; one, two, three, four, four, four... that makes four I think: :p

Norway spruce
Scots pine
Rowan
Silver birch

Backyard_Species.jpg

Backyard_Species_2.jpg

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
how about a Black Poplar (populus nigra) they are now very scarce, sound like you have given up on Whitebeam, the Ley's Whitebeam (sorbus leyana) is endangered and said to be the rarest tree in Wales with only 17 known individual trees growing in the wild.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I was going to plant whitebeam but we're on acid soil & told it likes alkaline.

Poplar a possibility, didn't know they were scarce

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was going to plant whitebeam but we're on acid soil & told it likes alkaline.

Poplar a possibility, didn't know they were scarce

Black poplar is a declining species. It doesn't seed well, and the big ones have a tendency to get hit by lightning, which doesn't do them a lot of good. They will grow in acid soils. All the ones I know of are in rich soils in river floodplains. Grey poplar (which is a hybrid), white poplar and Italian poplars are all pretty common, as is aspen. If your soil is really acid, look at Italian Alder, which is often planted on coal spoil to stabilise the soil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE