Could you KILL your own food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
I dont have any trouble killing a animal as long as I was killing it so I could eat,I have killed animals since I was 15 years old when I first started going bush eg;boar,deer and wood pigeon I have even had magpie pie.I have always loved the enviroment and its wildlife I even did voluntary work with the RSPCA an the local vet (always wanted to work with animals at that time).My first day with the RSPCA we had to put down(gas) eight kittens because homes could not be found for them,so I learnt then not to be to emotional about death.
What I can not comprehend or understand is killing for sport,killing for killing sake
The last animal I killed was a Stag, twenty odd years ago,I went hunting occassionally hit this stag in the shoulder blade did not kill it out right as the bullet hit a main artery,by the time I reached the stag it was laying in a tremendous ammount of blood and still alive.
I swore that day that I would not kill another animal unless I had to,such as a mercy killing or to survive.
Clayton

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Yes, I could do it, and I occasionally do (see my post on moose hunting).
I`m raised on a little farm and have slaughtered sheeps, hens and rabbits. I`ve helped old cats and dogs over in eternity (and their offspring; population control).
This is (was) perfectly normal when I grew up.
I`ve never speculated wether it is wrong or not.

Tor

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I think most peoples here do not kill wontomely? They do so to finish a cycle: of hunting, mercy, culling etc... Done efficiently and with good intention it is a naturel part of the life/death cycle we all share in. Before we live, after we die this same cycle will be repeated ad infinitum(?) Rejoice in the life given and respect the life taken. CG :yo:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Stew said:
I think that you may be better off giving the infected rabbits a cremation for the sake of other Rabbits. I know it's not nice but it may help other rabbits from getting infected.
:(
Others may be able to back this up as I'm not 100% sure.
You're probably right; it's just tricky if you're only out for a walk :rolleyes:

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Yes. I have done it and will likely do it again. I always give thanks for any animal I've slain. As dumb as it may sound, I also thank the dead animal itself and promise to use its every part.

Most people today have no compunction against eating the flesh of an animal so long as they do not have to kill, clean, skin and butcher it themselves. The sad fact is that most human beings are incapable of providing for themselves when it comes down to the basics....Bruce

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Greywolf said:
Fresh Meat

You know I have just realised
What’s wrong with meat today
Its wrapped up in clinical cellophane,
And sold to us that way.
Now here is my opinion,
I warn you now it's blunt
We should do as our ancestors did
We should learn to hunt.
To track our prey and stalk it.
Deliver clean and painless kill.
We'd do it all with honour
Not to derive a thrill.
Then we'd learn to butcher,
To dress the carcass, how to skin.
Find uses for each and every part
Throw nothing in the bin.

Of course, the Government won't allow it
Us hunting for our tea.
Can't have folks knowing where food comes from
its far too 'Un-PC'!

A while back but great poem graywolf :).

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Me and my friend found a half eaten pigeon, still alive, had been got by a fox we think, bones we showing in some places, it couldn't fly, but, i don't know whether you agree with us but we felt sorry for it and thought we would help it on its way seen as it was on its way out anyway with injurys as severe as it. I think it was for the best.

However, i do find that for some reason as the animal gets bigger it seems more wrong, for example how many of us could kill a whole coleny of ant with boiling water or powder yet find slaughtering a lamb hard. Also, whilst i was at longleat safari park ages ago, they said meal worms were edible and offered them round, i ate one, it was alive when i popped in in my mouth, however I would find doing that to a lamb hard, but i suppose most of us have just lost our hunter gatherer roots. I would if i needed to.

[edit]
You know I have just realised
What’s wrong with meat today
Its wrapped up in clinical cellophane,
And sold to us that way.
Now here is my opinion,
I warn you now it's blunt
We should do as our ancestors did
We should learn to hunt.
To track our prey and stalk it.
Deliver clean and painless kill.
We'd do it all with honour
Not to derive a thrill.
Then we'd learn to butcher,
To dress the carcass, how to skin.
Find uses for each and every part
Throw nothing in the bin.

Of course, the Government won't allow it
Us hunting for our tea.
Can't have folks knowing where food comes from
its far too 'Un-PC'!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats great! I surely sums up alot of our feelings, I would love to be able to learn more about how our ancestors lived, Todays society caters for the lazy.
[/edit]

Reactions: Ed

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
I can and regularly do kill (shoot) small game which ends up in the freezer at home (fish too). I was born thirty years too late! Reckon I would have been a great poacher!!!

Sounds a bit harsh, but I feel that if you would not be prepared to kill what you are eating then you shouldn't be eating it.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I eat self-killed meat, no problem. Rabbits, fish, (both freshweater and sal****er), pigeons, sqirrels, hares, deer, phreasants, partridges etc etc etc. I do quite a lot of shooting, so a ready supply of fresh meat is on hand. I never take a life without thought, but have no compunction against doing so. When I was about 7 my aunty had me choose the chicken for that nights dinner from those in the chicken run, then gave me running instructions on how to kill and prepare it for cooking, which I did without any real problems. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal too.

An old gamekeeper I knew had the best reply to the question of whether it was right to kill animals for food. "If we hadn't been meant to eat animals, they wouldn't have been made out of meat!"

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I grew up in a small town in the U.S. where some of my neighbors still kept chickens or rabbits and others still used wood-burning stoves. Many people had gardens but I suspect that a lot of people would even have trouble with something they had to dig out of the ground and perhaps even cook by themselves.

But I could be wrong.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
This has been a very interesting read. Kind of "de ja vue" all over again.

When I first went off to college - I realized, for the first time, there were people who didn't like guns and hunting. It was a shock to me.

I grew up as part of a family and community, that looked up to the best hunters. I believe I was in my teens before I realized they didn't shut school down for the first week of deer season because it was a holiday - but rather because no one came to school.

My family, having some part Ojibwe heritage, also admired good hunters. When I came home with meat - my mother praised me, and I got the best cut of meat.

When I was young, we were very poor. If I didn't do well hunting - we didn't eat well. It was beans and oatmeal the last week of every month. My father worked long hours, and the hunting fell to me. I never went out for sports. Hunting consumed my time. It was never a chore. I loved hunting. I loved matching wits with the animals I hunted. I loved the kill. I didn't (and don't) especially care for gutting deer, dragging them miles through the woods, skinning, and butchering them.

I remember my first taste of beef. I was 11. I thought it tasted strange.

I never liked to hunt bear so much. I guess I didn't feel any particular empathy with them, though my Ojibwe name is Makwa Bemosi (Bear Walking), and I've been told we are part of the bear clan (or totem). If I had tobacco, I would spread some at the site of the kill, but only because my grandfather would do it. I just never cared that much for the meat, though it is good canned. The fat however, we would collect and render. It is the best for baking or cooking of any grease. We would also use it, mixed with pine tar, for waterproofing shoes and moggasins.

Hunting moose is a chore. They can see almost 360 degrees, and are hard to sneak up on. Hunting them is a challenge - unless you happen on one. Often they are in a river - and you want to wait until they get up on shore - - which leaves you little time for a shot before they dissappear into the brush. If you shoot one in the river - you have a terrible time getting them up on shore. Large ones easy go over half a ton. Getting them dressed and quartered is also a lot of work. To dress a moose, we try to prop it on its rear legs - like an A-frame. You take your knife and start your cut. you end up in the gut cavity , hoping you don't get buried by 250 pounds of guts. It is a very bloody job. If you've shot them back in, transport, usually by canoe, is a lot of work.

I first began hunting in 1962. Now, I usually take five to ten deer a year , and I've taken many bear and several moose (part of my job is tracking and killing car injured deer, bear, and ocassionally a moose). Also, I hunt hare, grouse, and grey squirrel, which is my favorite game meat. When I was young, we would also eat beaver and muskrat - which we trapped.

I'm not so poor now. But, if I didn't hunt, to supplement our diet, make our own sugar, harvest wild rice, pick berries, net whitefish, and keep a garden - we would probably have to move to a city and live in an apartment. I sure wouldn't want to do that.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE