Couch / Settee Feathers

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I've just had a thought, the couch im currently sitting on is filled with feathers (not sure what kind)

I have a synthetic sleeping bag (nothing decent) and i was going to make it into an underbag for hammocking.

So i was thinking that i could have ago at replacing the synthetic inner with the feathers from the couch?

Anyone know if this would work? or are the feathers no good?

btw the couch is going to be replaced soon and will be thrown away :rolleyes:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
The feathers gradually leaking out of my settee don't seem that different to the ones in my feather quilt when I was a kid. By definition feathers are a form of insultion and work by trapping pockets of air so I see no reason why it wouldn't work in principal. If you take it outside and get it wet it might be a different matter though...........

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
In sleeping bags down is used rather than feathers; although some bags do have a mix of down and feathers. Down is fluffy and soft rather than feathery.
Having said that, my Nanna had a very old fashion feather doona which I remember as being very warm and cosy (I think it came from pre-WW2 Europe) !

A synthetic underbag would probably be easier to wash and dry than feathers, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Show us a picture with all the mess. LOL

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Personally I wouldn't bother. One of the attractions (to me) of hammock camping is the ability to rough it and not have to worry about a spot of damp. Down and feathers notoriously don't perform in the wet.

down is a totally different substance to feathers. I think you are on a hiding to nowhere, but keep up the innovative thinking.

I think that an underquilt needs three qualities:
Windproof shell - it's exposed to the slightest breeze. It must stop the wind.
Breathable - or condensation from your body will condense and pool in the quilt.
Insulating

Most sleeping bags aren't windproof. I'd be inclined to get some pertex from pointnorth and make a loose hanging shell from that. If you can't afford that, look for some discarded tyvek on a building site. Then experiment with different insulating materials. thinsulate could be promising - there is a version made for insulating the inside of boats.

thinsulate on ebay

There are also breathable membranes+insulation used in the building industry.
http://www.just-insulation.com/ybs_breather_foil_fr_membrane_for_roof_and_wall_applications.html

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE