Cotton Canvas Outer Layer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
Hello wise folk,

I'm looking into making a canvas outer shirt to wear on top of my swanndri ranger shirt and wondered if anyone had any advise on what cotton i'd be best using? I'm looking for advise on how tight a weave or what weight i should look for, or even better if someone knows an online site they could link me too.

I realise cotton canvas is a more traditional fabric, and that gore-tex etc is more common these days but this is more of personal choice rather than perhaps a practical one. The Windshirt made by Wayland at Ravenlore.co.uk was what really sparked my interest, though i have my own thoughts on design. If anyone could hazard a guess as to the best kind of fabric I'd be very grateful.

Kind Regards

Telcontar

Not all who wander are lost

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
I've thought about this too. I also prefer wool and cotton over Goretex. I find the combination of wool and true cotton canvas (usually means 12 oz) to be too bulky. I finally settled on the military ripstop NYCO BDU coat. Very thin, yet tough. You can find all kinds of the military coats in nyco, 100% cotton and polycotton. But as I've mentioned, the true cotton canvas stuff like Carhartt on top of wool is usually way too much and VERY constricting.

http://www.desertdeucesurplus.com/servlet/the-1620/TRU-dsh-SPEC-50-fdsh-50-NYCO-BDU/Detail

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would go along with Ventile as a first choice, then Gabardine, then 6oz cotton canvas.
I have made stuff out of all of these over the years - I have also made a top out of Tipi canvas - but that is stiff and a bit OTT:)
Why not drop into "Introductions and Welcomes" and say hello to everyone?
Hello and welcome anyway :D

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Ventile or tightly woven cotton over wool is the best combination imho. Maybe have a look at the fishermen's smocks (one brand i remember is Titan). I owned something similar once and the material is tough, wind resistant but not as tightly woven as ventile.

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
awesome, thanks for the replies. I tried looking for a stockist of ventile material whithout much luck, would anyone know where i could buy some? John F, how do you find the 6 oz to wear? is it heavy?

And thank you for the welcomes, I'll pop into the introductions forum now i think!

Telcontar

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
6oz is fine to wear IMHO :)
As for buying Ventile - contact the mill for seconds/ends ... you may get lucky with a cheap bit :)
awesome, thanks for the replies. I tried looking for a stockist of ventile material whithout much luck, would anyone know where i could buy some? John F, how do you find the 6 oz to wear? is it heavy?

And thank you for the welcomes, I'll pop into the introductions forum now i think!

Telcontar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE