Cost of triggering InReach

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Happywalker

Full Member
May 30, 2021
30
12
West Yorkshire
Hi,
As I’m now going further afield on my own and sometimes with my young kids I’m looking to purchase a Garmin inReach SE+ For the sat messaging but also for the sos feature. I’m trying to find out other than the monthly subscription, what would be the financial cost of triggering an SOS in the UK. Do I need to purchase insurance also. Hopefully I never need to use it, and appreciate its better to be rescued/alive with a bill to pay but I need to plan around this.
I tried to find out from Garmin support but they were vague on this.
Cheers
Kev
 
Rescue in the UK falls under the emergency services and as such there is no charge.
The Garmin coordination centre alert the Mountain Rescue to the activation and location.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Happywalker
For about £25 a year, they also offer an insurance to go with the inreach. It basically covers you for rescue costs upto a suitably high amount, as long as you're not in a competition (it doesn't cover you in a race say). Not really needed in the UK, but useful if you venture further abroad.

J
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE