Cordials and Beers...

Inspired by the elderflower champagne thread I have been profusely making cordial (15 litres!) for my up coming wedding and have some fizz on the go too.

I have to say I have the bug.

I fancy a go a nettle cordial and beer (are they worth it?), and love the minimal kit and accessible ingredients... along with the hugely rewarding outcome.

So what other recipes would be well worth a try?

Please do share!

Many thanks

Leo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We're all waiting on everyone else :D

Elderberry wine is very good if you've left any of the flowers to ripen :) and so is peapod wine, that's the leftovers from the peas you grow in the garden :D so another freebie.

Bramble's excellent, blackcurrant and strawberry make great liquers, I think you're a bit late for the Beech leaf noyeau though, well this year anyway. Gooseberry makes a lovely crisp white wine and dandelion and burdock doesn't need to be non alcoholic.

There's always the cider and perry :D Stovie's probably the man to ask about the cider.

Where's Gregorach ? He's usually brewing too :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I have recently decided to try the same, and I just collected these of a freecycler.

IMAG1007.jpg

so hope to try the same.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Nothing to do with this thread but my father, back in the 70's, used to make peach wine ( on a small scale, 12 bottles a year) & it was to be drunk only on special occassions, it was so delicious that the special occassions arose with increasing regularity, every sunday lunch in fact.......... my mum's roasts were always a special occassion though.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I did a thread on this last year. I'll see if I can find it. PM me with your real email and I'll send you the two pdf's I made - alcoholic and non alcoholic:)
(Nope cant find the thread sorry)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Did you start the second thread Kev ?

If so, it ought to come up under your started threads, especially if you use a search word, like 'wine' or 'cordial'

cheers,
M

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
At the moment I have 50 litres alcoholic lemonade and 25litres of alcoholic ginger beer for my brothers upcoming weeding!!

Good luck with your brewing

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
oak leaf wine = lush...........;)

young oak leaves = as much as you like
sugar = 1 kg per gallon of liquid
yeast = 1-2 tea spoons

boil up the leaves in water to make a broth type thing, strain all the crud off and brew as normal, wait 2 or 3 weeks till it stops bubbeling rack of and bottle etc etc etc yader yader yader.....

drink within 1 year, very nice summer drink.....

rosehip is very nice but takes a year to mature into a good wine.....untill then it tastes like terps.....lol.....
gather your rose hips give a wash and then rough chop, cover with boiling water in a bucket, wait untill tepid, add your yeast and sugar, set aside but stir adleast once a day, after 7 days strain of the liquid top up with water if needed and brew as normal......

nettle wine is the same, it takes a year for the enzimes to do there thing.....

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
oak leaf wine = lush...........;)

young oak leaves = as much as you like
sugar = 1 kg per gallon of liquid
yeast = 1-2 tea spoons

boil up the leaves in water to make a broth type thing, strain all the crud off and brew as normal, wait 2 or 3 weeks till it stops bubbeling rack of and bottle etc etc etc yader yader yader.....

drink within 1 year, very nice summer drink.....

rosehip is very nice but takes a year to mature into a good wine.....until then it tastes like terps.....lol.....
gather your rose hips give a wash and then rough chop, cover with boiling water in a bucket, wait until tepid, add your yeast and sugar, set aside but stir at least once a day, after 7 days strain of the liquid top up with water if needed and brew as normal......

nettle wine is the same, it takes a year for the enzymes to do there thing.....
Added to the Alcoholic PDF
( :jacked: How do we send PDF's to a MOD Toddy)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i like Allinsons yeast, it comes in a yellow tin, says it can be used for bread beer and wine.....

works for me, cheep too.....

regards.

chris....

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Thanks for the responses guys.

All sounds good.

Chris the Nettle wine sounds interesting... conjures images of green manure my folks used to make in an old bact in the garden. Is it any good? No added sugar?

Leo

tbh i never tried it but i have a recipe for it, pm me if you want it mate, i also have the nettle beer recipe and others...... my beer is kit based, i just add to it to make to taste better, i use a crappy lager kit tin and add spray malt and hops....mmmmmmmmmmmm pale ale....;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE