Cord chaining patterns...

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hi,

I'm lookng for some guidance/information on cord chaining - y'know, when you make a cord/rope much shorter than it is by looping/chaining it? :22:

I've seen several really good patterns, but I only know one. :eek:

Does anyone have any sites/books they can guide me to please?

Thanks,

Phil

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
it's also a really good way to dry ropes, and hang them for storage.

i have such a design on my keys a meter long bootlace compacted to20cm!

it's just a bunch of half hitches.

make an slip overhand loop knot, but leave a loop going through,(so iff you pull both ends it undoes).
next feed a new loop through the last,
next feed a new loop through the last,
and so on!
the tricky bit is keeping it tidy, and the knots on the same side but that comes with practice.

a very simular princable is used on those old canvas scout tents and 2ww tents.

i usually use the first loop one end as attatchment, nad with the final loose end(or ends) i finish with either a bowline loop, or fishermans knot then you have a sort of safe way to hook it on something with out it un-raveling.

best thing to do is stick the telly on and "play" with some thick para cord or rope you'll soon get the hang of it

by the by the hangmans knot is an unconventional but useful tidying knot! No, really! look at all the loops! :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Phil I do a lot of braiding but I'd need to sit with coloured cords and soemone photographing me to explain them clearly.
Have you had a look at some of the leather braiding sites? They are very good on designs. The other sites with lots of excellent braiding advice are the ones for the kids Scoobies; the plastic cords they make friendship bracelets and keyrings from.
Four ply braids can be done from one length folded in half and then again. This gives two loops one end and a loop and two loose ends at the other. Any four ply braid from this works well, celtic interlacing, square cord, plaiting...... Use the two loop end as the starting point, hold it down or hook it on to something and then use the four lengths in pattern. Fankles are easily resolved because the loop will simply untwist and the two loose ends can be pulled free of any snarls created at the bottom as you work.

This is a perennial topic that has been raised at different times, it'd be good to see other folks work :)

Cheers,
Toddy

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
aaah i see!

it would look better than mine but you loose the ability to pull free a length of rope in an instant!

if you do find a good website can you post it so i can have a go? cheers

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
This has some good designs for scoobies, the novelty has worn off now but they got loads of ideas from here.
http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_starting_square.htm

The rope method Rappleby uses I think is called drummers plait, I use it for static abseil ropes and used to use it for caving ropes, it was great when using wet rope or when stuck for space. I double the rope twice the put my hand through the loop made by the double rope and pull a handful of rope through, then put your hand through the loop you have just made and grab another handful keep going till the end and pull the last bit through and it stays as a short thick hank. When you want to use it unthread the last bit and drop it over the edge and its weight, usually, undoes it all.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
aaah i see!

it would look better than mine but you loose the ability to pull free a length of rope in an instant!

if you do find a good website can you post it so i can have a go? cheers

Uhuh, but it's a very neat way of storing rope or shortening it semi-permanently. :D

Cheers,
toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE