Coracle

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Have you ever paddled one? I found they are an excellent way of burning calories, but you don't get anywhere fast. I'd not swap my canoe for one.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
we made one at school as part of a project (me and two mates) and then entered a regional corcacle race where all the other schools in the area competed haha we came second! :D

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Have you ever paddled one? I found they are an excellent way of burning calories, but you don't get anywhere fast. I'd not swap my canoe for one.

Never been in one.

But then I don't get anywhere particularly fast anyway, unless I'm on moving water!
happy0054.gif

And I would never, ever swap my Packrafts for a coracle, not even at gunpoint!
happy0009.gif

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK

aye mate, I've also eaten in one - the best chippy in Brecon is called the 'Coracle'.....maybe not the best way of burning calories though !!:lmao:

......no connection, just a happy customer :)

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
They can't be all that bad, there was a welsh fellow hat went across the channel in one! Jim Bridgers' bull boat was basically a coracle too, he didn't seem to do too bad in it!

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
They skim across the water nicely once you get the hang of them. Not best for long distance on flat water mind, they were designed for net fishing on rivers.

Sure they do, but even watching the experts didn't make me think I'd swap my canoe for one.

Reading back my first post, it comes across as harsher than I intended. I think building your own would be a worth while increase to a set of traditional skills, but I wouldn't plan on joining in with any trips with other boats in a Coracle.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They can't be all that bad, there was a welsh fellow hat went across the channel in one! Jim Bridgers' bull boat was basically a coracle too, he didn't seem to do too bad in it!

Yup - the same guy who makes them and taught me to paddle one (and taught me to play badminton...our clubs first net was a "recycled salmon net...)!
He lives just down the road from me....

I wrote up an article for SWAT mag (years ago now) on how to build a Bull boat and examples of coracles from around the world (including a Bull Boat) are to be found in the Coracle Museum in Cenarth on the Teifi River in Carmarthenshire.
The reason that the Bull Boat used by the Mandan Indians is like a corracle is that they are decended from Prince Llewellyns men - who "discovered" America before those pesky Vikings or Spanish/Italians :)
The Mandans also spoke Welsh - but were wiped out by disease brought in by those darned Sais, deliberately targeting the poor old Welsh yet again!

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I never knew the Welsh were a pioneering nation! Next thing you'll be telling me is they repelled the barbarian hordes at Carthage!

:p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE