G10 fibre glass sheet A5

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Update......

I've buggered it up. I only have hand tools and while the carbon saw blades eat through the G10 easily enough, they bend and I can't seem to saw it straight! I tried a glass cutter but either I'm not being heavy-handed enough or the G10 is too slippery, so........

Would anyone like to do the job for me? I could send you the G10 sheet it's only slightly larger than A5 size. Maybe you could cut it to my dimensions and send it back to me? I will, of course cross your palm with silver for your work. Pm me if you can help!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You what now? Glass cutter!?! little glaziers tool with a wheel for scoring glass? Or do you mean a tile saw? Bending carbon blades?!? Hacksaw blades? Cannot picture what you are doing.

Stuff like this, I think you need to figure it out so you can do it yourself.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
You what now? Glass cutter!?! little glaziers tool with a wheel for scoring glass? Or do you mean a tile saw? Bending carbon blades?!? Hacksaw blades? Cannot picture what you are doing.

Stuff like this, I think you need to figure it out so you can do it yourself.
I can almost hear the disgust in your voice!

So....... I used hacksaw blades. I suppose that 'bending' was the wrong word to use. I meant 'twisting' ie: the blade twists in use so it's not cutting straight. And glass cutter? Yes, the little glaziers tool for scoring glass. It was just an idea I had on a whim, with the thinking that G10 is kinda like glass a bit isn't it? Maybe by scoring it I could break it in a straight line like glass? Of course, it didn't work but you never know until you try do you? . I'm not about to go out and spend money on expensive tools when I'm not likey to use them again.

This is just a bit of fun for me. Nothing more, and the idea of a G10 book mark just sounds kinda cool now doesn't it........

Reactions: Nice65

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Okay. Flash tutorial coming up. Max cut length 240mm in one go.
Hand hacksaw
Double sided tape
Masking tape
Piece of straight wood at least as long as your cut.
Clamp of some sort, I had a G clamp to hand. I am sure you could manage with just more double sided tape if you had to.
I am cutting some 1.5mm paper phenolic laminate, but the principe holds.

IMG_8781.jpegIMG_8782.jpegIMG_8783.jpeg

IMG_8784.jpegIMG_8785.jpegIMG_8786.jpegIMG_8788.jpegIMG_8789.jpegIMG_8790.jpegIMG_8792.jpeg

Reactions: Stew

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Like all hand saw work,
saw next to the line, not down the middle of it.
Use thumb nail of non-sawing hand as a fence guide when you start the cut.
Saw at a low angle to the work so that the kerf you cut helps to keep the blade straight as the cut progresses. Also, less vibration this way, and less chance of blade to wander (less easy to steer if it does wander)

If the cut is longer, need to rotate the hacksaw frame so it doesn’t hit the work, but this makes cutting straight harder, so on A5 length cut, no need.

Cut face will require sanding straight. Just the nature of hand sawn stuff like this. Double side sandpaper to flat surface so you get a true straight sanding edge.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Thanks for taking the time to do that! I genuinely appreciate it. I would never have thought of using double sided tape. I've got some clamps somewhere I'll have to dig them out!

I'll deffo give it another go in the week.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Ah ha! I made a book mark. Thanks to @C_Claycomb tutorial, I made this a while ago. It has been with me ever since. A handy little thing to have. Pretty in it's own way. I tapered one end and made a slight chisel point so it slides between pages easier.

1000002234.jpg

Reactions: C_Claycomb

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Few years ago I worked on the Windermere Jetty Programme and amongst other things we put a load of grippy decking down.
This stuff was wood with resin and sand mix for the grippy bits.
Normal TCT blades wouldnt get past about first bait time on day one but Poly Crystaline Diamond blades (with a grand total of four teeth) cut it well and we got a couple of weeks out of each blade in my circular saw.
Bit late for this project but they were bleedin great and worth every penny of the 33 quid a piece they cost.

Reactions: Stew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE