Copper hunting horn - Wanted!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep, à copper or brass hunting horn is on my wish list for my next project!

You know the type, long funnel shape ended horns that the upper class blow down. Some are really long and some are just arm length. As long as its intact I'm interested, I won't be blowing down it to sound the hunt for ghastly toffs, but recycling it for another more artistic purpose!

I've got several bits to trade: seuede/leather, buckles/straps, knife handle woods and a nice axe!

So let me know if you've got what I'm looking for!

Cheers

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Those are coach horns. Hunting horns are much smaller if straight or curled in a full circle.

Ah good man, I saw one in a second hand shop but they wanted £15 and eBay they go for less. I lost out on a perfect one earlie4 by 20p .. Only went for £9 posted.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Yep, à copper or brass hunting horn is on my wish list for my next project!

You know the type, long funnel shape ended horns that the upper class blow down. Some are really long and some are just arm length. As long as its intact I'm interested, I won't be blowing down it to sound the hunt for ghastly toffs, but recycling it for another more artistic purpose!

I've got several bits to trade: seuede/leather, buckles/straps, knife handle woods and a nice axe!

So let me know if you've got what I'm looking for!

Cheers

Ill keep an eye out in the car boot sales

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hunting horns are generally short - or coiled in you are a foreign jonnie - what you are after is a "Post Horn" as used by the mail coaches (back when the post cost a penny, had several deliveries a day, was reliable and you could get a lift on the delivery vehicle)!
Us toffs know the difference - oik! :)

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have exactly what you're looking for.
I'll take a photo tonight and send it along. It was a gift from my father so not 100% sure I'd get rid of it, but maybe for the right swap...

Cheers

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ah sounds grand!

and I would use a brass candle stick.. but the horn has a better look imo. I'll need to source a mini plasma ball, pressure guages, fittings, 4mm copper piping etc next.. lol.

I saw a few in a charity shop a few miles away but they were dented in the main section I'd need and they wanted full/silly money for them. typical rip off charity shops think the highest price on fleabay is the go to mark for pricing.. gah!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
An interesting way to think about volunteers who sell donations to help those in great need.

I stand by my statement. They are often way too concerned about squeezing every last damn penny out of the locals and although they do help those in need, I'm far from well off myself and believe charity and kindness starts at home. They simply charge way too much for certain items and I think it's unacceptable. Millions of items are donated and stored away because they don't sell fast enough, and they don't sell fast enough because they charge too much!

They also refuse to barter. But my opinions of the many many charity shops who I believe operate without consideration to their neighbours is irrelevant. This about sourcing a horn! Not a debate about second hand junk..

Still looking though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE