Copper cup questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I plan on making a small copper mug for drinking from while out and about. I have tin for lining the interior. Is this a viable and safe coating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
The combination of copper and tin lining is well used and traditional in French cookware.
I'd sudgest you get the cup electro plated, using a wax resist on the outside if you want to retain the copper finish. An electro plater should be well able to get a nice polished finish on the exposed copper as well.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Surely it is fine to drink from a copper vessel but not cook with it?

Copper pipes seem to be safe. Isn't it just the act of cooking (with hot liquid containing acid and alkali substances) that leeches the toxic coppers salts into the food?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the traditional way of tinning a cup is to wipe the inside with a flux solution (borax i water will do) and then melt a piece of tin inside the cup. as soon as the tin is liquid (160C i think it is), you wipe it around the inside with a cloth. Hey presto a tinned safe cup :) Another way of doing it is to use a cold tinning solution used for electronics, this is easier but much more time consuming adn expensive than the traditional way. Buy a little bit of pure tin on ebay, a little goes a very long way with cups!

a few that I did earlier in the year :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well I never knew that, thanks for posting it!
The reason I sudgested plating was because I once did it for a living....dull nickel, bright nickel, dull chrome, bright chrome, copper, brass, and tin...no gold though:)

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I have tin from my late father who was a silversmith. It is pure tin. My sister however works at a plating shop here in town so I can go either way. I'll keep you all posted!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have tin from my late father who was a silversmith. It is pure tin. My sister however works at a plating shop here in town so I can go either way. I'll keep you all posted!

LOL the 2 abiding memories from that job are the foreman "your showing nickel" (your sister will know what he meant...) that and the evil concentrated sulfuric acid, very nasty stuff...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE