cooking with titanium

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
It was my birthday yesterday and have been given some cash as a pressie.
It has crossed my mind to invest in a couple of titanium pots.
I use a 12cm and occasionally a 16cm zebra billy can at the moment.
Having done a bit of research I am considering a Alpkit Mytimug 650 and 900 to replace my zebras.
Do you think its worth the outlay to swap?
I did read somewhere that food can catch/burn easier over fire in titanium.
We do a bit of hillwalking as well as wild camping and do like to knock up a snack when in the hills.

What are your thoughts?

Greg:confused:

Oct 24, 2011
south east
Titanium conducts heat slower so food should burn less?

Worth the outlay? No.

Naaah 'cause the heat isn't conducted as well

a hot spot occurs over the heat and will burn the food more easily ...

Only answer is continual stirring to stop the food burning !!!

Cheers Whistle

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Aluminium pots are just as light and spread heat better for cooking food.

I only use Ti where I need strength and light weight, as in tent pegs.

I'm not that careful with pots etc, and I have never wrecked an aluminium pot to render it beyond use, dented and dinged them yes, but they straighten out easily enough and are cheap to replace.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Perhaps have a look at the Solo pots in stainless. much lighter than the zebras but without the tendency to burn stuff as easily as titanium. Perhaps also look at combining them with a stove capable of simmering rather than one that bases it's reputation on boiling something in the shortest possible time? Cooking in small pots requires a lot more attention with more stirring, even more so with titanium.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I can not imagine the weight saving can be much between Aluminium and Titanium. I have never used Ti pots, only the same old blackened and scratched Aluminium set the Army gave me in -79.
I tend to stir the food much more than at home, as it is messy to clean burnt on food in the bush.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
When out and about I tend to use a white box stove or my trusty honey stove if a bit more control is required.
I haven't used aluminium for some time due to food catching.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
They are great for brews and cooking where liquids are involved, cous cous, noodles, rice, pasta, boiled or poached eggs, heating up rat packs or look what I found etc, which is the kind of cooking I do mostly on shorter trips. I also use a small collapsible grill rack over my wood stove or open fire if doing sausages, bacon, steak and similar.

Wouldn't be without my ti stuff now, 750ml mug for brews and cous cous or noodles, and a 1600ml ti pot for easier cooking of larger stuff like pasta, bags etc.

Whatever material you end up getting, and I would go for ti personally, think about the size differences of the pots and don't get anything too similar in size like the 650/900 you mentioned. I went through a few combinations before settling on the 750/1600 that suits me.

Mine were all sourced from aliexpress at around a third less than UK prices, but that was a couple of years ago and may or may not still be the same.

It depends how and what you cook.

Actual cooking in a pot (as opposed to just boiling water) can be a challenge in Ti pots because, as has been said, it doesn't conduct heat very well, so you end up with a hot spot over the heat source whilst the rest of the pot stays relatively cool. I would go with shallow/ wide pots rather than deep/ narrow to ameliorate this problem.

Also, if you're planning on using a Ti mug for your brews - you will probably want to make a cozy for it as the Ti mug (and your brew) will get cold in no time.

I use SS billies and I also have Ti pots and it depends on my activity, which ones I'll take with me. If I'm fixed camping with open fires, cooking 'real' meals and haven't had to walk too far to the site - I'll take the SS gear (along with a full compliment of cutting tools, sharpening gear, polycotton tarp, leather and canvas carrying equipment etc, etc) - food can be anything you you might bake, boil, steam or fry at home.

If I'm hiking any distance then it's ultralight backpack, tent, minimal clothing layers, one knife, Ti pot with alcohol stove. Food is also lightweight - anything that requires boiling water only - so dehydrated meals, noodles, rice, cous-cous, instant mash etc - as well as brew kit, of course. My summer, hiking pack weight is under 20lbs and winter, a hair under 30lb (based on three nights out).

If you're hiking too - then Ti is a good investment to reduce pack weight - just be aware of its limitations as a cooking medium.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Thanks for all the advice so far.
Its got me thinking that I will just go for the 650 pot to use as a brew kit and continue using a zebra for any cooking.
A bit of weight saved and the best of both worlds.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Sounds like a good plan, although if you step up just a little to a 750ml mug it will be perfect also for shots of cous cous, noodles etc for an easy quick lunch, as well as a decent brew. 650ml might be a little small for that ?

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Just curious, how much would all your cooking equipment weight together?
Pots, pans, burner stand, coffee pot, (whatever you use) ?

Is it for one person, or two?

I haven't actually weighed my cooking gear.
In the 12 cm billy I carry a small bottle of meths, white box stove, small coaster I use as a flat base for stove, glove and sometimes a pan scourer. I only carry the larger billy if away for a weekend break. Its for 2 people.
My original thoughts were to buy some titanium as a brew kit, but when I started looking I started thinking about replacing both pots to save a bit more weight.
Most of my overnight meals consist of powdered type soups with a pack of noodles added and an extra stock cube, or pasta with sauce/cous cous etc.
When we go away for a weekend I do like to knock up a spaghetti bolognaise, or curry or similar.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am a great fan of Trangia. The Trangia system has been developed over many decades, developed to be used by people that have to carry it.
Used by several countries armed forces too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE