Cooking with hot stones. What kind to use.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I'm running a Scout camp base soon and was wanting to do some hot stone cooking.

I've tinkered before with the idea but the stones I used were not too good.

I was thinking of hot stones in a hole in the ground, hot stones to boil water.

Any ideas.

Camp is at Blair Atholl, Scotland.

Thanks.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Granite is good, as is slate. They are the two I've used both held the heat really well, and cooked brilliantly. My Loch Shiel bannock was cooked on a hot granite rock- delicious! :)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I've cooked fish in a hangi before. As above just don't use stones from the river or sea. Was with a few bushcrafters on Dartmoor, not long ago. They dug a pit 18 x 24 inches ....24-30 inches deep. The stones had been on the fire since the morning. Place stone's at the bottom. A Lambs leg, dressed in garlic and tyme, was wrapped in foil, place stone's on top and at sides, about 5 hours later we had the most exquisite roast lamb.
Ooh aarh them Devon boys, do bushcraft proper.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
House bricks, make sure you use stock or engineering bricks made from clay not concrete ones common in Scotland.
I've used them with scouts and cubs on geology with no stones except flint.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have had all different types of rocks go pop. One safety tip is to make the fire well away from your main camping area so if one does go pop you are no where near it.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
As others have said beware of explosions! I would recommend putting the rocks in the fire at the start of the fire so as they warm/dry gradually and not just lobbing them on a hot fire that's asking for trouble.
I've used limestone before now for a outdoor sauna under an old parachute :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE