Cooking pot for a honey stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ruger_red

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2009
Merseyside
Hi,

I'm hopefully getting a honey stove stortly and undecided on which size pot to go for. I see woodlore do a couple of billey cans but not sure which size to buy. Only need suitable for one person. Also want a mug that I can boil water in and can go directly over the flame. Would really appreciate some advice and recommendations. Haven't a huge budget but would rather get it right first time and just buy the once.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I see woodlore do a couple of billey cans but not sure which size to buy. Only need suitable for one person.

If you're going to get the Zebra can from Woodlore go for the mid range one at 14cm but for about the same price you can get these from ebay and you'll have a range of sizes.

Another choice are the Tatonka billy cans.

Yet another choice are the Mors Kochanski cookware on Bison Bushcraft

The choice is do you want stainless steel or aluminium

Also want a mug that I can boil water in and can go directly over the flame.

Go for a crusader mug nice large cuppa size and at a pinch you can do some basic cooking it it as well. :)

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I use a 12cm Zebra. Here's a pic to give you an idea of how it looks. Great for one person.

IMG_0299.jpg

Get a separate cup like a folding one or a mug rather than suffer the inevitable experience of hot welded lips from a crusader cup straight off the cooker.
It also means you can have brew and something like noodles in the zebra tray with the option of hot water in reserve in the billy to top up either.

I use a 12cm Zebra. Here's a pic to give you an idea of how it looks. Great for one person.

(pic removed too save space)

Get a separate cup like a folding one or a mug rather than suffer the inevitable experience of hot welded lips from a crusader cup straight off the cooker.
It also means you can have brew and something like noodles in the zebra tray with the option of hot water in reserve in the billy to top up either.

are you sure thatsa 12 cm billy looks aboutthe sameas my 14 in a honey stove :D

ATB

Duncan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any size pot will do as long as it's big enough to cook what you want to eat. A bigger pot will sit on top whereas a smaller one will sit inside the rim on the top plate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE