Cooking over fire....Your suggestions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hi all,

Hoping you can help....

What is the best way to cook, say rice/pasta/couscous or stews over fire?

Is it best to hang a pot over the flames or dig a smal trench and pull coals out into the trench and put the pot on them?

Also can anyone suggest some pots and other cookware (and the places that I can aquire them from in the UK) that are suitable for hanging over/putting into a fire? As all the cookware i can find seems to be designed for use on gas/fuel stoves.

Thanks.

Rod

On a new journey
Hi Andy,

I use a swedish army mess set (aluminium) over the fire. I alter the height of the pan depending on the ferocity of the heat underneath. Kochanski's book "Bushcraft" has some good sketches of differing methods of hanging pots. A little experimentation will usually show you the way. Adapt things to suit your circumstances. You will need to get your fire going reasonably well before you can cook a stew - I would suggest - as these can take a little time. Once things are going in the pan you should only need to maintain the fire and give the pot an occassional stir! Roving Rich has a cracking cast iron hanging skillet - this is great for fry ups, steaks and I dare say could be persuaded to do a stir fry or paella/risotto. I have cooked a paella in a skillet over an open fire - it was fantastic! If you send him a PM he may be able to tell you where he got it. Most others will use a stainless billy can. Gary at Bearclaw Bushcraft sells these.

The main thing with cooking rice and pasta is to keep the water simmering and make sure that things don't stick to the bottom.

Hope this helps
bon appetit!

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
For the foods you list, over the fire is fine. I only worry about using the coals when I want much finer control over the temperature/timing. Of course, couscous would need to be watched a little more closely than the rest unless you enjoy cleaning your pans.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Ed W said:
Hi

Do you know where you can get cheap stainless steel billy cans from?

Thanks
Hiya,

Lots of people use zebra billycans. very good pieces of kit, but can be quite expensive depending on the dealer.
Bearclaw do a good set of stacking billycans here Three billycans for £11.50.

Hope that helps?

Martin

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
For stuff like rice or couscous I tend to just bring them to the boil over the fire, and then sit them somewhere warm with the lid on for long enough that they cook in their residual heat, no chance of burning. For white rice I find that a couple of handfuls per person is enough. Once the rice is in the pot I then add enough cold water so it comes up to the first knuckle of my index finger. Bring it to the boil for a minute or two then take of the heat. In the winter I would stick it into my sleeping bag which also heats the sleeping bag up too!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Justin Time said:
For stuff like rice or couscous I tend to just bring them to the boil over the fire, and then sit them somewhere warm with the lid on for long enough that they cook in their residual heat, no chance of burning. For white rice I find that a couple of handfuls per person is enough. Once the rice is in the pot I then add enough cold water so it comes up to the first knuckle of my index finger. Bring it to the boil for a minute or two then take of the heat. In the winter I would stick it into my sleeping bag which also heats the sleeping bag up too!

I make an improvised hay box idea with dried grass around the pot, but that is such a good idea about the sleeping bag; gonna give that a try; hot porridge inside for supper and a warm bag for sleeping too :D :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Do you put it in your bag straight away? Do you put someone between the pot and the bag to stop the bag getting dirty?

Hoodoo posted a picture of a insulating cover that he made for his billy which I keep meaning to copy.

mammy_nun

Aug 7, 2005
Gourock, Scotland
andyn said:
Hi all,

Hoping you can help....

What is the best way to cook, say rice/pasta/couscous or stews over fire?

Is it best to hang a pot over the flames or dig a smal trench and pull coals out into the trench and put the pot on them?

Also can anyone suggest some pots and other cookware (and the places that I can aquire them from in the UK) that are suitable for hanging over/putting into a fire? As all the cookware i can find seems to be designed for use on gas/fuel stoves.

Thanks.
Hey Andy,

Dont know about your pots but I just made a cool swinging pot holder. Saw it in Lofty wisemans SAS Survival handbook. Excellent for controlling temp. and swinging your pot away from the fire.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Has anyone tried the coleman outfitter cook kit with all the billy cans and pots? You can get it quite cheap in the states but I don't know of anywhere you can get it in the UK. If anyone has got it can you tell me if it's good and if there are any UK sellers.

Thanks

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Andy said:
Do you put it in your bag straight away? Do you put someone between the pot and the bag to stop the bag getting dirty?

Andy
I would just stick it on some spare clothing or my sleeping hat ( I've got a nice long hat which looks ridiculous during the day time... but covers my eyes/back of neck and so is grand for sleeping in)

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
We have just got back from Blackberry Wood campsite near Brighton and last night I cooked a magnificent pigout sized stew in my favourite cast iron pot I just stand it on a grill type support over 2 bricks. Cast iron takes and distributes the heat and this pot has a good heavy lid.The food did not burn and it was on the fire for about 2 hours. Of course it is heavy to carry but it is easy to clean and never topples over . Carrots onions spuds parsnips beef lamb leeks mushrooms oxos seasoning and any thing else my mate and his son couldnt hide from me. I use a pair of leather riggers (gloves) to handle it and lift the lid.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
There are many methods of cooking over a fire.
To boil stuff I agree with Mors Kochanski - dry twigs no bigger than your finger.
To simmer coals are ideal, also my favored for frying.
The best set up is a fire large enough to keep burning for the duration of your cooking ! So you need enough fuel, and somewhere to pile it on and get it going.
(as it takes a little while to dry out and catch). Then another part of the fire to cook on. I tend to adjust things, to keep an even temperature under the pan, pulling coals and burning wood in from the main fire.
I'm not a fan of the pot hanger, always look a little precarious for my liking. My preference is for the tripod either made on site from green wood and cordage or a manufactured steel one which I carry with my "base camp" cast iron cooking pots/pans and kettle - ideal for "boot" packing (out the back of a car). The Gypsies and travellers I know also use a "kettle Iron", a long heavy inverted "J" shape with a hook on the end to receive the pan handle. It is placed in the ground at an angle over the fire. It also has numerous other uses around camp.
Nessmuk goes in for a pair of logs sat side by side, not parallel, but tapering to one end. The large fire built at one end, then coals/wood moved to the thin end of the taper as needed. This set up suits various sizes of pan, sat bridging the top of the 2 logs at the appropriate distance of separation, and fire moved underneath. (hope that makes sense :cool: ) It does require 2 rather large logs that are not always available or efficient for short stay at the campsite. It does work really well, and has the advantage that you can close the logs up together at night and they will still be going in the morning.
Rocks or bricks (either can be exchanged for logs) are also very useful. They can be arranged side by side (similar to logs above) with the pan spanning the gap, or in a "corner" often easier to move the heat under it from the main fire, with the pan sat on the corner if you see what i mean. BE CAREFUL WITH ROCKS - don't use flint or wet rocks, they can explode!
Bill Mason carries a pair of flat metal bars that he places on rocks or logs across the fire and places his pan on them. I have been known to do the same with branches, but your food needs to cook before they burn through. ;)
From Bill Mason videos I've seen, he often uses a grill/shelf from an conventional household oven.
There are 101 variations, depending on what resources are available, and how much you want to carry. -
Sorry if I'm teaching alot of people how to suck eggs, just putting it down for the record.
No matter what setup you are using - the kettle should ALWAYS be on (unless short of water). That way you always have hot water for tea, washing up and washing your hands. Plus it takes alot less time to bring to the boil when required. You may aswell the fire is already lit, and its good practice for any camp. There is always a kettle on my woodburner in the caravan, and on the Aga in my Aunties farmhouse kitchen. Hot water on tap - well nearly, but still utter luxury in camp IMO.
Cheers
Thanks for the indulgence :eek:
Rich

PS - Grasshopper its a pleasure to meet such a fine cook as yourself at the fireside, and even better to share your meal -you are welcome to use my pans anytime :)

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
Ed W said:
Has anyone tried the coleman outfitter cook kit with all the billy cans and pots? You can get it quite cheap in the states but I don't know of anywhere you can get it in the UK. If anyone has got it can you tell me if it's good and if there are any UK sellers.

I bought one about 5 years ago, and really like it. I'm changing the bail on the smallest one to a round welding rod(stainless steel type) handle. It's the one I carry on solo day trips.
Can't give you much insite into availability in the UK though

Rod

On a new journey
Roving Rich said:
Bill Mason carries a pair of flat metal bars that he places on rocks or logs across the fire and places his pan on them. I have been known to do the same with branches, but your food needs to cook before they burn through. ;)

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the compliment and the offer. :D I have seen the above done with straight green sticks. But they must be green - or they will burn through.

Now that you and are are nearly neighbours we should organise a meet/feed?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE