Cooking out of a partially converted van

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're getting a van converted in stages. Soon it'll be a nice, dry and warm sleeping space. It won't have a kitchen for a year I reckon. So cooking is camping stove based.

I just wondered what you'd say the best cooking set up would be? I'm thinking from stove through to shelter options.

Current thinking is tarp rigged up from the side door with simple camping stoves. Likely a trangia with gas stove converter. We have a car camping stove with two rings and a toaster but it's gas is a blue canister so no good in colder weathers and it suffers in the wind. A few gas and even meths stoves we have too.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to go out in most seasons with it to get our money worth. Our aim was always to extend family camping season.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I assume you are cooking outside the vehicle?
otherwise why the tarp?
i wonder if the little suction based hooks would be strong enough to hold a tarp against the top of the vehicle?
then 2 poles and guylines hold the other corners and away you go.
that's what we're planning on doing when needed.

With a wind shield many of the gas stoves work. we have a couple of the briefcase style ones. large but stable.
is cooking a big thing for you or just a method of getting fuel inside the body?
that might give an idea of the sort of cooker would work.
we're planning on having a larger wood fire set up for outside and the usual 2 ring gas stove for when needed inside. we like cooking on an open fire.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you plan to be able to cook outside the van in the future, adding permanent fixing points for the tarp would maybe be a good idea.
Collapsible camping table. Or a fixed foldable 'cooking table'?
The cooker - whatever you fancy. Alcohol, gas. The possibilities are endless!

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I have a Howling Moon awning that I use with or without the side panels depending on the weather.
Have a Genyk/ Hago/beanstalk kitchen unit . 3 fold flat wire shelves with a stove windshield on the top shelf.
Stoves vary , Tilley twosome, Coleman gas, Primus, and others.
The butane only freezes at very low temperatures, have not had problems yet or I will get a red cylinder.

Reactions: Nomad64

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I have a coleman 2 burner duel fuel stove. use it in the tent (tipi), back of the pickup and used to use it in the back of my old lr110. As long as you have ventilation, no problems. A partially converted camper is ideal for one and it's still good for a folding table outside during nice weather.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The classic Coleman "green box" petrol stove. Two burners and a windshield.
The floor stand is flimsy. Try to find a picnic table for best support.
Runs hot in any weather. I've cooked on mine in the rain. Makes pretty stinky toast. Not a good plan.

The single burner Coleman 533 is a little volcano, unto itself.

I have a 2-burner Coleman gas cartidge stove that I use in the house during power failures.
I don't know how well it might work in the cold outside. Not willing to do the experiment.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Flexible metal windshield that can fold into a wide or tight C shape. Depending on meals, invest in a simple steamer set, steamed fish is a welcome change to boiled veg. Tinfoil helps with spices sauces and of course tabasco. The trick is to set up with tarp on or off shield at different angles so you can avoid jarring pot handles or dropping lids. Couple pairs of oven gloves always help.
Am basing all this on a army no4? burner in the back of the CQs truck. Bashed stews tins were ready when the dent popped Vent hole helped too. Fish with boiled rice is one of those meals so simple yet sauces ginger or spices can make the difference.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Nomad64

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I do like the look of the Camp Champ kitchen. https://www.campchamp.at/en/camp-champ-kitchen
But not the price. :)

If had access to a wood working tools, imagine to could make something equivalent pretty easily.

Camp Champ also sell the Partner Steel stoves with EU mods. But again starting prices at 600 euros.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Collapsible camping table. Or a fixed foldable 'cooking table'?

My father made benches that we used as beds* in a vw van (old style) , as the legs was removable he also did a longer set so we could use one of them as a table. Sittning in the side door with the table and the remaining bench we was five people during meals. Two people then sleept in the van and three in a tent.

*one seat was removed during those trips.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
For
We're getting a van converted in stages. Soon it'll be a nice, dry and warm sleeping space. It won't have a kitchen for a year I reckon. So cooking is camping stove based.

I just wondered what you'd say the best cooking set up would be? I'm thinking from stove through to shelter options.

Current thinking is tarp rigged up from the side door with simple camping stoves. Likely a trangia with gas stove converter. We have a car camping stove with two rings and a toaster but it's gas is a blue canister so no good in colder weathers and it suffers in the wind. A few gas and even meths stoves we have too.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to go out in most seasons with it to get our money worth. Our aim was always to extend family camping season.
For now we are just using a jetboil, which is fine for simpler stuff and water boiling. It works fine and can be done under the tailgate or by the side door

I too am thinking of some simple tarp setup for the side door, but not sure what/how yet.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
For

For now we are just using a jetboil, which is fine for simpler stuff and water boiling. It works fine and can be done under the tailgate or by the side door

I too am thinking of some simple tarp setup for the side door, but not sure what/how yet.

Before we had a fold away awning we use to tie the tarp guy line inside the van (onto passenger side A pillar grab handle) and shut the door so the guy line goes through the door shut and the same on the boot then prop the tarp up with extendable washing line poles and peg the other two corners out as usual. Probably not the best explanation but I hope you get what I mean?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think I once saw a tarp made for tailgate vans. Iirc it fills in the sides. Not completely a drive away awning but a bit more than just a roof tarp.

Ours is barn doors so not relevant to us but I thought a tailgate could offer shelter from rain with a simple side tarp pegged down to cut out wind. Perhaps a simple long and narrow tarp that goes from the ground, over the tailgate and down to the ground on the other side.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Before we had a fold away awning we use to tie the tarp guy line inside the van (onto passenger side A pillar grab handle) and shut the door so the guy line goes through the door shut and the same on the boot then prop the tarp up with extendable washing line poles and peg the other two corners out as usual. Probably not the best explanation but I hope you get what I mean?
That's very clear, thank you!

I know you can get kador strip rails that are low profile (on their own or in combo with roof rails), but not sure yet and I want to minimise holes in the roof where water can get in.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The tai
I think I once saw a tarp made for tailgate vans. Iirc it fills in the sides. Not completely a drive away awning but a bit more than just a roof tarp.

Ours is barn doors so not relevant to us but I thought a tailgate could offer shelter from rain with a simple side tarp pegged down to cut out wind. Perhaps a simple long and narrow tarp that goes from the ground, over the tailgate and down to the ground on the other side.
The tail gate is great as a roof when it's not too windy, but sometimes it's easier to cook out of the side door (too windy means rain in the boot and/or too cold inside, dogs trying to escape, less noticeable for passersby etc).

Those tailgate tents look handy but I'm worried it would get too cold or damage the tailgate.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The tai

The tail gate is great as a roof when it's not too windy, but sometimes it's easier to cook out of the side door (too windy means rain in the boot and/or too cold inside, dogs trying to escape, less noticeable for passersby etc).

Those tailgate tents look handy but I'm worried it would get too cold or damage the tailgate.

Got a tailgate on my van and its great for when I'm putting tools in and don't want them soaked.
Not right keen on high vehicles moving about close to the tailgate though cos I don't want it to get tweaked by a site excavator or telehandler.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE