cooking a damper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The traditional way I've heard of (never seen, or even heard first hand from someone who has seen) is to use the dough literally as a damper (hence the name) on the embers of the fire. I'm not at all sure that a cast iron camp oven would find a place in many a jolly swagman's matilda...

I've heard of attempts at using this method, but never with success. I suspect that you might need to cook it very slowly. If you could arrange it so that your damper took most of the night to cook, that'd be ideal - warm bread in the morning!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I was watching Michael Palin's 'Sahara' the other day and the Tuareg nomads he was travelling across the Sahara with were cooking bread in the sand with embers underneath and top of the bread http://www.racingshadow.com/albums/LibyaEclipse2006/photo18-12.html It looked very tasty :p I've cooked ash cakes before straight on the ashes of my fire, but never tried the larger breads. Must give it a try next time I'm on the beach. I really like these simple ways of cooking with minimum or no utensils. A couple of times I've done vegetables on the embers like this too. Sweet potato, baked potato, carrots, burdock root - definately no need for tin foil and you can bake the nan breads you can buy the same way. Just tap the sand/earth off with a small stick when cooked. Excellent stuff.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
jdlenton said:
could you not use a billy in the same manner it might work ?

Perhaps, but I'm not sure that a billy has the right heating characteristics (too thin). Besides, a swagman's billy is full of tea! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE