Cooker from a pine log

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have seen a burner made from cutting a cross into the top of a pine log but can't seem to find a reference for it anywhere. Does anyone have any info they would be willing to share.

I have found a recently fallen scotts pine ripe for an experiment!

Leo

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
From what ive seen you ,as you say stand a log on its end with a cross saw cut in it(would probs be best with chain saw ) then i think you pack the cuts with tinder, twigs dried pine needles etc and light them, once it gets going you can sit a pan on it, just being careful it doesnt topple.edit(damn woodsmoke got there first)

Gailainne

Life Member
Don't need the chainsaw, just split the log in 4 (Quarters) and bed the ends into the ground, with a gap between each, fill as suggested with tinder and kindling, away you go. They chuck out a fair amount of heat and light and last for hours.

Cheers

Stephen

Edit he beat me too it as well hehe

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Don't need the chainsaw, just split the log in 4 (Quarters) and bed the ends into the ground, with a gap between each, fill as suggested with tinder and kindling, away you go. They chuck out a fair amount of heat and light and last for hours.

Cheers

Stephen

Edit he beat me too it as well hehe

I've tried this with a piece of pine which had already been split into quarters, worked well although one side burned a lot faster than the otherbecause of the way they'd been stored I think.
I'd like to try it in the snow one day.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich also probably depends if there was a wind and which way the wind is blowing as this would affect the burn rate on one side or tuther.

Aye that would make sense but we did it in a controlled environment, i.e. my mates garage :D

He'd had it stored on a shelf in the same garage but two of the pieces were resting against the damp wall. I think that was what did it but we still had a good burn from it, the kettle was leaning at a dodgy angle towards then end so we put it out eventually.

Must confess that I have given it a go but couldn't get it to light. I found a video since my first post and Ray uses birch bark and small twigs. I tried to be clever and use fire lighters (as they were to hand!) but no cookie. Will try with birch bark on weds.

Leo

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
dare I say it good old bear grylls did something similar just using 4 sticks (green wood) rammed in the gound and filled the cross up with bits of twig etc. stood a billy on the top
and away it went . It boiled a billy of water anyway. No chainsaw or Axe needed.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
dare I say it good old bear grylls did something similar just using 4 sticks (green wood) rammed in the gound and filled the cross up with bits of twig etc. stood a billy on the top
and away it went . It boiled a billy of water anyway. No chainsaw or Axe needed.

yep he did, i remember watching that m8..

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

..... and knowing some of his other antics, boiled the water by holding it in his hand over the flames and gritting his teeth.

:cool:

Ogri the trog

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
..... and knowing some of his other antics, boiled the water by holding it in his hand over the flames and gritting his teeth.

:cool:

Ogri the trog

Actually, I believe that wasn't water. It was urine, so that he could concentrate the salts/waste materials before drinking it so that it did his body even more harm.

Doc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE