cook set suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
thanks

this is my problem like some others have already commented i have different kit for different set-ups
ok i do a LOT OF HIKING i dont mean camping on a campsite for a few days and going home
i mean a long weekend going from point A to point B to point C to point D completely off the beaten track and so on so for that i have a hi-gear 4 cookset and a compact vango stove (tiny thing) lightweight tent etc etc you get the picture

however when im doing other stuff like bush weekends ( my mate owns a 20 acre forest with streams) so i spend my bushy weekends there
fortunately he allows me to have campfires, though ive never seen the point in damaging the ground when there is no need to so i have a ( homebrewed ) collapsable firebox and Tripod
some have mentioned ally mess kits ive destroyed a set on open fire already
soi need a cookset that is relatively lightweight, indestructable can take serious abuse, and can be thrown into the Sun's corona and still retain its shape.......

think the MSR alpine stowaway is the best route

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
thanks

this is my problem like some others have already commented i have different kit for different set-ups
ok i do a LOT OF HIKING i dont mean camping on a campsite for a few days and going home
i mean a long weekend going from point A to point B to point C to point D completely off the beaten track and so on so for that i have a hi-gear 4 cookset and a compact vango stove (tiny thing) lightweight tent etc etc you get the picture

however when im doing other stuff like bush weekends ( my mate owns a 20 acre forest with streams) so i spend my bushy weekends there
fortunately he allows me to have campfires, though ive never seen the point in damaging the ground when there is no need to so i have a ( homebrewed ) collapsable firebox and Tripod
some have mentioned ally mess kits ive destroyed a set on open fire already
soi need a cookset that is relatively lightweight, indestructable can take serious abuse, and can be thrown into the Sun's corona and still retain its shape.......

think the MSR alpine stowaway is the best route

Stainless will still rust after a fire in my experience, I don't know about high end stainless, but if you get catering grade stainless hot enough it still oxidises the outer layer, suppose it depends on tre thickness as I've noticed the pan supports on stoves still rust but very little. suppose it depends if your gonna use them dry as I said earlier. msr do titanium pots too

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
id recommend a MSR seagul or MSR stowaway, they are the same pot, just a different name, i duno why. comes in 3 sizes. stainless steel. sold in cotswold on the highstreet

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If I was short of a stainless steel pot, I'd get the snowpeak no1 kettle, on ebay for £25 delivered from japan.

$_12.JPG

dimi.t.dfd

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
studioblade.blogspot.com
Here's my set. I can cook everywhere. Not ultralight but it will last you a long time...

ExploreMoreUsedGear%2520%252856%2520of%2520149%2529.jpg

ExploreMoreUsedGear%2520%252859%2520of%2520149%2529.jpg

ExploreMoreUsedGear%2520%252864%2520of%2520149%2529.jpg

ExploreMoreUsedGear%2520%252865%2520of%2520149%2529.jpg

Compact, versatile & sturdy. I can cook on open fire, on my wild woodgasstove & on my Trangia alcoholstove.

Here’s the complete kit:

1. Primus fuel bottle
  2. MSR stowaway 775ml pot
  3. Swedish Fold-a-Cup, now this is a winner! I’ve had it for years, buy one. Very durable and you can drink hot coffee without getting burned.
  4. Bic lighter. Great item, not to be trusted in wet weather though. Be sure to bring a firesteel, it will always give you a spark and they last forever.
  5. Titanium Spork
  6. Trangia alcohol stove
  7. Light my Fire firesteel, these are the best by far. I know, because I tried them all…
  8. Cotton-wool balls impregnated with vaseline. Use them as tinder to start a fire. Steal them from your girlfriend, girls use them to remove their make-up. Standard survival equipment for every girl on the planet.

I wrote an article about this set on my website:

http://exploremore.eu/

Grtz,

Dimi

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE