convexing a tip

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Recently I snapped the tip off my mora.

any scandi-grind knife ends up with very fine tip and even high-end knives are prone to breakage; it is mentioned in this excellent review of a skookum bushtool https://belgianbirkebeiner.wordpress.com/reviews/skookum-bush-tool-a2-review/

Reading that made me think. Maybe there is a case for convexing the tip of these knives. The scandi grind is great for slicing wood, but the tip isn't really for slicing. Piercing maybe.
What do people think?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I do personally, although (at the risk of having rotten fruit and veg thrown at me in a stockade) I prefer hollow grinds. They're the most common grind you find on mass produced knives for a reason, and if anyone thinks they don't get sharp enough, go look at a razor! Convexing the tip is easy on a belt linisher, might pay you to anneal the tip of its breaking too

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I do personally, although (at the risk of having rotten fruit and veg thrown at me in a stockade) I prefer hollow grinds. They're the most common grind you find on mass produced knives for a reason, and if anyone thinks they don't get sharp enough, go look at a razor! Covering the tip is easy on a belt linisher, might pay you to anneal the tip of its breaking too

Sorry, I don't understand. Why anneal the tip? I get that it'll soften it but why make it non-functional?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Sorry, I don't understand. Why anneal the tip? I get that it'll soften it but why make it non-functional?
Consider how hard even the softest pig iron is in comparison to what you're cutting. And a bent tip is easier to fix than a regrind

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I guess annealing will make the tip less brittle. If you don't mind frequent touching up, then there is no need for an ultra-hard tip.
People used to make razors from bronze. I bet they could teach us a thing or two about sharpening.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I guess annealing will make the tip less brittle. If you don't mind frequent touching up, then there is no need for an ultra-hard tip.
People used to make razors from bronze. I bet they could teach us a thing or two about sharpening.
That's what I mean on annealing. I quite fancy having a crack at a bronze knife actually

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Yup it is a problem, I find though the point tip is used far less often than the blade, and many occourances of tip usage can be substituted for a sliceattack from a curving belly on an edge thats sharp enough. How many times do you actually use the tip? Opening plastic is the one I most use a tip for. The grind can make the difference, I the major slicing is done near the handle, and the point is on the other end, perhaps a tapering scandi of some kind would help with tip strength.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm just posting to throw rotten fruit an veg at Mick91

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'm just posting to throw rotten fruit an veg at Mick91

I dont even blame you, but let's talk "bushcraft".
1305ce89c09371ecfbb22a59b42a6c08.jpg
Wilson is made of soft crappy iron made from an old piece of farm equipment. It is ugly, it is soft, it is short, it is hollow ground... It works fine :') if people are having trouble sharpening and using a knife, probably not the knife that's wrong imo! I make pretty things with Scandi grinds, but I use hollow grinds day to day, and favour stainless (mainly because blood kills carbon and I use mainly for game prep) . Sorry but at least I'm bein honest. Admittedly it's personal preference though.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1444179175592.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444179175592.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 6

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Consider how hard even the softest pig iron is in comparison to what you're cutting. And a bent tip is easier to fix than a regrind

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I see.

Well not something I'll be doing with knives I make and I would suspect that any other knifemaker who advertised their knives like that would get laughed off the internet but crack on. :D (or bend on!! :D )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE