Convex or Scandi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi all

After using my RM/WS for about 12 months I got caught up in the hype of the Northstars and decided to purchase one.

After using it for the past 6 months for mainly for working with wood, I was forced to lone it to a member of our local scout troop try out, so I decided to bring my WS out of retirement and use it myself. And, I have to say I believe I am now a convert for a convex grind.

Maybe I have become too familiar with the northstar, but I do seem to have much more control regarding depth of cut with a convex grind. Most of the cuts I made with the scandi were to deep. It really seemed to bite into the wood to far at times. I also found the N/S a real doddle to sharpen in the field with a Starky.

Have any other members found themselves converted to a convex, or have any of you tried a convex only to return to using a Scandi, if so what advantage do you find you get from the scandi?

I have to admit I haven't really tested the N/S on kitchen duties!

Nick

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
:aargh4: you mentioned both S'words in one post (scandi and starkie) where is that can of worms?

Seriously use the search facility for scandi and you will find loads of discussion.

It is horses for courses some people will love the north star and it's convex edge others will never hear anything said against a scandi grind. We won't ever decide which one is better.

Bill

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
tenbears10 said:
... some people will love the north star and it's convex edge others will never hear anything said against a scandi grind. We won't ever decide which one is better.

I think we'll decide that the convex is the best.

For all of three minutes, then we'll decide that the scandi is best... for all of three minutes, then we'll be back to convex...

Keith.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
no we wont!!!!!!

I find that after using my F1 a lot if I then switch to using the Mora it may cut too deep but after a while I get used to it and it's fine. I'm hoping to get somewhere inbetween and have a flat bit that sharpens on a stone and then covex the to tehrest of the knife with my F1

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Did someone mention a Starkie? :wink: [Jake gets his coat].

Thats the million dollar question, scandi or convex? I like am both!

Sorry, not much help. Horses for courses (or is it vice versa?) i reckon.

I found the convex is a deeper slicer than my bison, but it does stay sharper for longer.

Cheers.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
For smooth, straight planing cuts, I prefer a scandi grind. But I like both grinds because they both have excellent penetration on hard material and I wouldn't complain if I had either in the woods. My favorite convexed blades are made by Bob Dozier.

dozierpair1b.jpg

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Is that top one kinda Nessmuk style? I like it! How much? And where from?

:D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jake, that top one is a custom. It's based on the teton model bob dozier made for AG Russell but I had Bob get rid of the finger grooves except for the first one, widen and subdue the finger groove, make the tip more pointy, and convex it. Can't recall the price but it was probably in the 3 bill range. Essentially it's a modern nessmuk. It will definitley carve wood with the best of 'em. The D2 steel holds an edge forever. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE