convex edge on flat ground knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
What do you guys think of a convex cutting edge of a flat ground knife? I am ordering a Bushcrafter from Allan Blade in flat ground O1, any opinions on this combo? I really like full convex but he wont do that :?: so I think the combo of convex and flat grind should be OK.

Let me have it whats your opinion?

leon-1

Geoffrey, I have done this to a Gene Ingram#30, this is in D2 and is probably one of the sharpest knives that I own, it is also very easy to maintain IMO.

The slight convexing makes the edge that little bit more robust as well, so I am all in favour of it :wave:

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Add my vote in favour of this - I really can't see any downside, and as leon-1 says you get a more robust edge

And anyway, if you strop your knife regularly to keep it touched up, it will naturally be a little convex

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
flat ground bushcrafter with convex terminal bevels? it's a very sensible suggestion, mine works a treat :biggthump

cheers, and.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
here is a bit more technical question, how thin should the blade be flat ground before adding the convex edge? Any preferances? Should I just let Allan Blade do what he thinks is best? I want a hard use bushcraft knife, baton work etc... but it must be wicked sharp too for carving, skinning etc...

Thanks.

leon-1

From what I have seen of Allans work so far you will not need to do a great deal to the bushcrafter, as I said the slight convexing of the blade will take a little time but the way the knife comes the blade will be thick enough for most work including batoning :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE