Convert IPK to Basha

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Has anybody tried puitting eyelets onto the corners of IPK/generic heavy plastic sheets, so that I can use them as bashas for kids?

If so how did you do it please?

Z

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
Being form th eUS I am not sure what you mean by IPK/Generic heavy palstic sheet, I assume that it is non woven sheeting like a heavy trash bag. At one point I saw the top of a 2 liter soda bottle cut off. The threaded portion was put on one sid eof the tarp and the cap screwd on form the other. The part of the bottle leftover had a hole put in it to attache the rope to. Hey I just found the link look at march 26 2005 http://www.minibulldesign.com/myadventure/index.php?blogid=1&archive=2005-03

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
This is exactly what i did for my first ever tarp.

Using a pack of eyelets like toddy linked to in his reply, just added them to the IPK at each corner then added 2 more to each long side at 1/3 distance from each end, then i added one at the mid point of the short sides.

makes a perfectly good starter/el cheapo tarp for the kids :D

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You can also use IPK sheets by simply wrapping a small pebble on each corner and then tying the wrapped pebble with what ever you are using for cordage. This is actually stronger than using eyelets if your knots are up to snuff.
Just an alternative;)
R.B.

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
i just found out the ipk is lead coated. That makes them a lousy option to use round kids who are particularly susceptible to lead poisoning. Sorry best ditch it and seek an old basha like I just had to.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
that thread only mentions it in the statement 'as far as i'm aware' - google, arrsepedia do not mention it at all, and personally i find it hard to believe that in the unlikely event that lead is present in the coating,that it is in high enough concentration to be harmful.
i doubt it is even present tbh - this just seems a bit panicky (like the fire-fork zinc handbag battle)
i've used an ipk with my kids for a couple of years with no problems - so unless the acronym actually stands for individual poisoning kit, i'd follow Toddys advice and go for it

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cn't see why it would even be IRR proofed, looking through my book it mentions nothing of IRR proofing mainly because they are designed to have a ton of earth chucked on top of them! A round pebble in the corner with a bit of string will do the job, but I wouldn't use eyelets as they can pull out at the most inopportune moment. Sew some tape loops on instead.

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
I hear what you say but the seed of doubt is planted. was only 2.99 after all. the pegs and cord are worth that. So I'm not that worried

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got two of them somewhere, I'm going to have HWMBLT (ex Physics teacher and his 2nd honours degree is Chemistry ) to have a look at mine and see what he thinks.
I'm with Spamel on this, they're meant to cover trenches and be themselves covered with a foot of soil, there's absolutely no reason for lead. Also, I've got the instructions and there was no mention of the lead. Surely such an "added feature" would be at least worth a word or two.
The tarp is solid, no frills and not lightweight, but it's good kit. The pegs and lines are worth the money on their own.
If you're near Glasgow there is a man sells IPK kits at Blochairn on Sundays, £3 each or two for £5.

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I can even scan the instructions from my Best Book which make no mention, and if anybody wants to revet a trench and needs to remember the dimensions for the pegs, there is a rhyme that us old Sappers use to remember it! Even if it does have lead impregnated in it, which I doubt, remove the possibility of lead poisoning by not living under it for ten years, don't drink water you collect off of it and no matter how tempted you may be, do not lick the shelter!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
anyone on here work in a school / have access to a chemistry lab that could test a piece ??
That would be me then. Physics/ KS3 Science teacher. :rolleyes:

I am not sure how I would actually test for lead, that's chemistry but I will ask.:twak:

I asked a sapper friend and he said that he had been told that there was lead in them because if you found yourself in an area contaminated by mild fallout then you could roll yourself up in the IPK for a kip and keep the worst of the dust off.

Having said that he also thought it could be sort of :cussing: that the army tell soldiers to re-assure them when their kit isn't really up to the job.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
it could be sort of :cussing: that the army tell soldiers to re-assure them when their kit isn't really up to the job.

Like "There's no bromide in the tea....Honest!!":D I was in the mob for a good while and have used IPK's there was never any mention of lead in them and I'm sure the thickness of the material wouldn't allow for any useable amount of protection. An inch of earth scattered on top would suit far better than 3 microns of lead:confused:

lead test kits are here though

http://www.leadinspector.com/?gclid=CNSj9NXSkZICFRlP1AodzQ1f-Q

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, I was also a Sapper and never got told about a lead content. I'll ask my brother who is shortly getting posted to the BEW at Minley who is well up on Combat Engineering, but I am sure the answer will be similar to mine. The amount of lead would barely have any effect at all on stopping radiation.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
...Having said that he also thought it could be sort of :cussing: that the army tell soldiers to re-assure them when their kit isn't really up to the job.

When I bought a couple of IPK’s one of my service friends told me a rather black joke about how effective they’re considered to be by your average squady. Probably not my place to repeat it here but if any of you military types know the one I mean ….

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE