'Conifer Trees Get The Chop'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
george said:
OOH

I'll try hard not to take offence Sheryl, but I'm a farmer (crofter) and thats a gross generalisation;)

George
Sorry George, you're quite right it is an over generalisation and I do apologise.:eek:

Long history of Wildlife protection and seeing so many things I care about threatened by Farming issues. Actually there are some amazingly responsible farmers out there - usually organic ones - making a very positive contribution too. It's just from what I've seen they appear to be in a minority.

I'll shut up now and let everyone get back on topic.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
FeralSheryl said:
Sorry George, you're quite right it is an over generalisation and I do apologise.:eek:

Actually there are some amazingly responsible farmers out there - usually organic ones - making a very positive contribution too. It's just from what I've seen they appear to be in a minority.

That's me Sheryl. As organic as I can be.

Apology accepted, I was only teasing anyway.

George

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Isn't it a shame we have to loose one sort of forrest to get another?
Couldn't we have new forrests of "traditional" broadleaf trees planted alongside the pine forrests as it seems we'll be swapping mature - albeit artifical, woodlands for immature ones.

Dave

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
it is not often so cut and dried dave

hardwoods will grow a lot better if growm in the lee of softwood shelterbelts

I guess a gradual changeover can be expected rather than chop down and replant

also it seems forresters are getting the idea that a mixed plantation of a variety of trees can be better than a blanket monoculture

forestry is a long term thing tho, and what sees like a good idea today may all look very different in 40 or 50 years

Tant

Jun 29, 2005
Tantalus said:
I heard a similar story about the new forrest, some farmer had discovered it was his right to let his pigs forage on the beech mast and proceeded to do so much to the horror of local conservationists. Subsequent regeneration in the area was much higher than in other untouched areas.

I live in the western part of the New Forest, a mile or two inside the National Park boundary. The farmer would be a commoner, owning a property to which common rights attach. The one still exercised the most is the right of pasture, which is why we see commoners' ponies and cattle roaming everywhere, but I have seen pigs once or twice, in autumn, let out to clear up the acorns and beech mast before the ponies can eat too many and make themselves ill - a strategy that certainly doesn't work now and probably never did.

The commoners have been doing this for over 900 years, and the ponies are the main reason the New Forest still looks the way it does. Generally the conservationists are more concerned about the impact of 20 million visitors per year.

I'm new here by the way. Hello!

Thom, in the forest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE