Condor double bit axe

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Came across the Condor Thunder Bay double bit axe, the Nessmuk fan in me is quite taken by it as its pretty small.

Anyone got one, any thoughts to share?

10805.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
440c stainless blade? Not exactly the toughest steel out there. It can make a good knife though. Not sure how it will perform as a chopping tool.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi,

it's the cutting faces that bother me, looks like it's trying to be splitter without the weight. Plus the eyelet/pin at the base of the head looks like it'll weaken the wood at that point. Have you found any reviews on it?

ATB,
GB.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I agree, I don't know why but it just looks completely wrong to me................ugly, in fact...................sorry!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Did a wee bit of a review search on it, (though it's gone through a few different incarnations so watch which you're reading about). Main concerns seem to be loose heads out of the box making folk return them and go for something else. To be fair some folk liked it.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers for the replies all, might give it a miss. I am little unsure whether I need of double bits as it is, just wanted something akin to a nessmuk hatchet. Can anyone recommend a good small sized double bit?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't do drawer queens :). I tend to use bigger axes more these days as their main chore is processing firewood - but they all get used

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
I don't like the looks, again cannot really say why but I don't. Also Im not sure of the steel. Never used an axe with 440 steel so Id need to see reviews etc before I took a gamble. JMO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE