Condensation inside dutch oven whilst cooking bread?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Decided to give it a go at making damper bread on with my dutch oven and Ozpig.

Made the dough up and popped it in the DO. Checked it after 15 minutes and noticed that there was a lot of condensation inside the lid.

I wiped this away, but when I check after 30 minutes it had come back, enough that it appears it had dripped down onto the top of the bread and it was soft and had not crisped up.

I never used any heat on the top of the oven, is this where the problem is?

I also noticed that the bread was a bit doughy when I broke into it. Had too much moisture come out of the dough?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Trevor

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Yep, heat on top for the best results.

Here's one made by Iona at a Super Sausage Meet:

Proving:

bread3.jpg

It rose quite a lot inside the DO:

breadf.jpg

Twodogs' Loaf at Swift Valley

:
dutchovenbread2.jpg

dutchovenbread5.jpg

dutchovenbread9.jpg

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Thanks for your reply, as they say, you live and learn.

Will try it again, hopefully tomorrow. But this time I will put less water in the dough and place some heat onto the top.

Regards

Trevor

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Not sure what a self basting oven is, well that's not true as I understand the principal.

It is a 4 liter Dutch Oven from Ronnie Sunshines. I always ensure it is clean when I finish and put a small wipe of oil on it before packing it away. The oil was wiped off before I started cooking today.

Regards

Trevor

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Not sure what a self basting oven is, well that's not true as I understand the principal.

It is a 4 liter Dutch Oven from Ronnie Sunshines. I always ensure it is clean when I finish and put a small wipe of oil on it before packing it away. The oil was wiped off before I started cooking today.

Regards

Trevor

If the lid on the inside is dimpled it's a self baster, smooth it isn't.

Trevor, I don't think you've done anything wrong apart from no heat on the lid as you already stated. :)

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Bad habit I have got into. Being new to DO cooking I am worried that it is not cooking properly, sticking etc, so keep having a 'peek'. I think the more I use it, the more confident I will become.

Regards

Trevor

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE