Concussion.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ok, that was simple.

Then how does another member of your team know?

Have a wee read HERE Headway do some really good work, used to live near one of there centres for rehabilitation and it was very moving some of the work they did. In fact they helped a friend of mine who had been a fellow motor biker at the time and had had a bad crash.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
On a kids wildlife group that I assist with, one of the youngsters, who is a little clumsy and hyperactive (possibly aspergers syndrome or ADHD) hit his head whilst ducking under a log.

When we returned him to his dad at the end, I said "I don't think he has concussion, because if he did then he would lose coordination and stop making sense, so in his case there is no way to tell". His dad laughed.

The lad was fine. :)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Have a wee read HERE Headway do some really good work, used to live near one of there centres for rehabilitation and it was very moving some of the work they did. In fact they helped a friend of mine who had been a fellow motor biker at the time and had had a bad crash.

That looks like a really good site, just took a look, ta for the link.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
as a lifelong victim of rugger and having experienced countless blows to the heed, mine and my compatriots experience is as follows;
1 - confusion
2 - disorientation
3 - lack of co ordination
4 - post blow, a concussion colour. by this i mean vision is imparred and overlaid with a particular colour. mine is green.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
as a lifelong victim of rugger and having experienced countless blows to the heed, mine and my compatriots experience is as follows;
1 - confusion
2 - disorientation
3 - lack of co ordination
4 - post blow, a concussion colour. by this i mean vision is imparred and overlaid with a particular colour. mine is green.

As an ex rugby player too I will say that a lot of these symptoms appear post match even with no blow to the bonce. But through liberal imbibing of copious amounts of alcohol.
guinness.gif

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Having a little toddler and toddle they do into everything! I was told by an AnE nurse that providing they cry/scream immediately after the bang then its generally OK. Ofcourse keepnig an eye out for drowsiness, nausea, motor control etc afterwards is a given. Its when they hit their head and dont cry that its more serious.

Adults I guess its the same as above except more swearing.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I smacked my head when sledging with son. I think I went out but not for long. My son was shouting at me "mum you have gone all drunk!!". I lay there feeling sick with the world spinning for while, I remember the adults at the top of the slope doing nothing, my son kept shouting "mum you look drunk, stop it, you need to get up". They could hear him. Maybe they just thought I was a p***head parent, or they were just the do nothing types. I got up eventually, I felt really sick, and my head was banging. I walked home. I didnt go hospital, i just wanted to lie down at home. Thinking about it i was too impared to make a decision.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Vomiting usually means bruising of the brain
Seizures usually mean blood on the surface of the brain
Focal neurology usually means you have a bleed of some kind.

Take a cracking headache very seriously, especially if combined with other symptoms and/or an unusually slow pulse. Get medical attention.

Take a sudden sinusitis type response seriously also, could be a CSF leak. I know a guy who walked around for two days like that sniffing a lot before he got medical attention.

All these things can occur on a broad spectrum of severity. The human brain is the most complex system we know of, an this is reflected by the variety of symptoms seen in brain injury. Also, after a brain injury you might not be making terribly rational decisions.

If in any doubt get help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE