Computer Fire box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Right, I acquired some computers from work, 2 didn’t work – well I couldn’t be bothered to make them work, and it was a good excuse to chop them up for something.
One of the reasons I joined this forum was during a search on stoves, I was wanting to make a lightweight flat-packable totally enclosed fire box. I’m still in the process of making this, my latest step is the “computer firebox” I have seen a couple of other people do this [one of them Shewie from here] and have found their experiences very informative and helpful.
So enter the computer, shelled with the interior set aside “cause it might come in useful”
GEDC0310_zps0e6513c0.jpg

This is upside down with front forward, I’m planning on using the bottom of the computer case as the top plate. It just so happens there were some flanged bits where the power pack was, with a hacksaw some more flanged bits were made so a grate could be put it. As luck would have it there was a nice bit of mesh metal in the skip at work – so after a bit of chopping and hitting with a hammer [my favourite bit] I ended up with:-
GEDC0314_zpsc6044050.jpg

GEDC0315_zpsf79a6c35.jpg

The bottom portion will become an ash trap with a box to slide in and out to make de-ashing easy. The case of the computer [not pictured yet] will be chopped up to create the sides and the ash pan. I need to think a bit on the back and front.
I’m planning the front to be a big door with an air inlet and the back to have the exhaust pipe which leaves the top completely clear for cooking.

To be continued [this may take sometime as I don't have much spare time to mess about doing things like this...]

A little later………..

GEDC0316_zps8f6bb93e.jpg

Removed the far side and cut some flanges out in the bottom portion so an ash pan can sit and slide in and out. The casing of the computer [A big U shape] will be used to cover the sides and to make the ash pan….

GEDC0317a_zps8fa78c1f.jpg

New flanges circled in red.

GEDC0319_zps61725ca5.jpg

Side of the casing with the tabs on the sides and cut down to cover just the fire box portion.

GEDC0320_zps25a0e7fa.jpg

The other portion of the casing which has be re-bent to fit inside the case at the bottom to create an ash pan. It just needs a back and front plate with a handle on to finish….

GEDC0322_zps1ac555f1.jpg

GEDC0323_zpsd6770680.jpg

Ash pan fitting and able to slide in and out with relative ease – not sure what high temperatures will do to the fit of this but it is not snug, there is plenty of waggle room.

GEDC0331_zps72f5c65c.jpg

One side of the casing on, this has been chopped down to just cover the fire box portion coming just below the grating. The sides use the existing tabs and screws to fix to the interior case.

GEDC0332_zps3225eeeb.jpg

Looking through the front with both sides on and ash pan in. Just need to find something suitable for the back of the stove and work out the flue exit, and get hold of some hinges and some material for a front door and air inlet vent.
………………

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I forgot to put my initial sketch up, after taking the bits out, staring at it for awhile and thinking of it this is what I thought I'd try and accomplish....
sketch_zps62174326.jpg

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Should work nicely - see this done before, just be aware of the nasty paint! Also it'll likely rust if not protected and it's pretty thin, so it'll probably warp a fair bit.

Mine is made of 5mm steel, it weighs an absolute ton but gets very warm...!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dang - I wish I had thought of this before I gave my old PC to charity!
I can think of nothing more I would like to set fire to than a computer....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Son1 says mind and burn off the zinc oxide outside…..there's a relevant article on Wikipedia…..look for metal fume fever or galvie flu

Apparantly welders can be incredibly ill with some stuff like this.

Nice idea for an upcycle though :)

M

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I had a bit of spare time over the weekend - unusual but very welcomed :) so spent it trying to advance this project...

I have added this to the first post also, so at the end it should be a complete account....

A little later………..

GEDC0316_zps8f6bb93e.jpg

Removed the far side and cut some flanges out in the bottom portion so an ash pan can sit and slide in and out. The casing of the computer [A big U shape] will be used to cover the sides and to make the ash pan….

GEDC0317a_zps8fa78c1f.jpg

New flanges circled in red.

GEDC0319_zps61725ca5.jpg

Side of the casing with the tabs on the sides and cut down to cover just the fire box portion.

GEDC0320_zps25a0e7fa.jpg

The other portion of the casing which has be re-bent to fit inside the case at the bottom to create an ash pan. It just needs a back and front plate with a handle on to finish….

GEDC0322_zps1ac555f1.jpg

GEDC0323_zpsd6770680.jpg

Ash pan fitting and able to slide in and out with relative ease – not sure what high temperatures will do to the fit of this but it is not snug, there is plenty of waggle room.

GEDC0331_zps72f5c65c.jpg

One side of the casing on, this has been chopped down to just cover the fire box portion coming just below the grating. The sides use the existing tabs and screws to fix to the interior case.

GEDC0332_zps3225eeeb.jpg

Looking through the front with both sides on and ash pan in. Just need to find something suitable for the back of the stove and work out the flue exit, and get hold of some hinges and some material for a front door and air inlet vent.
………………

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Son1 says mind and burn off the zinc oxide outside…..there's a relevant article on Wikipedia…..look for metal fume fever or galvie flu

Apparantly welders can be incredibly ill with some stuff like this.

Nice idea for an upcycle though :)

M
It's why I won't weld galvanised. It can apparently make you ill, then you feel better before dying of organ failure
Have a look here and sadly the most famous case here :(
Make sure you get it super hot outside where no one can breath the fumes :)

Now the horrors have been discussed the design looks good goodjob

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Yep, I'm well aware of the dangers of burning zinc - and yes a few test burns outside with no one around is always on the cards.

I'm not sure what the coating on computers are but I was assuming it wouldn't be nice to breath burnt fumes from them...

I find it odd that many bbq buckets you can buy are galvanised steel??

Although my job requires me to know about materials I seldom work them. I've never really been a fan of metal work, but I do like hitting things with a hammer:) - hopefully it'll end up looking reasonably well made.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE