compound bow

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi there guys,ive been thinking about buying a bow for a while now but dont have much idea about what to buy.Compound /recurve/size its all a bit over my head,id just like something to have a bit of fun with but dont want to buy rubbish.
Any advice appreciated Soloman.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Is there a club near you where you can go and get advice and try out a few bows? Some people like traditional archery with wooden bows and others like the hi-tech modern stuff, it's all good but which one you go for is up to you?

You really need someone experienced to set you up if your totally new to archery and not necessarily a retail shop who might just try and sell you anything!

Once you know things like your draw length and a comfortable draw weight the rest is really finding a bow style and arrows that match these stats and practice your technique. Don't ever try and be macho and try and pull more weight before your body is able to easily as injury is quite likely and can be long lasting. However buying a lower pull bow is all well and good and will help with good technique but you may want to buy heavier pull bows as you improve which can get expensive but is the price you pay for being injury free.

Steve.

Last edited:
Once you know things like your draw length and a comfortable draw weight the rest is really finding a bow style and arrows that match these stats and practice your technique. Don't ever try and be macho and try and pull more weight before your body is able to easily as injury is quite likely and can be long lasting. However buying a lower pull bow is all well and good and will help with good technique but you may want to buy heavier pull bows as you improve which can get expensive but is the price you pay for being injury free.

In addition to that if you end up buying take down recurve bow you can usually keep the same riser and upgrade the limbs to something a bit more powerful as you develop. Something that I was going to do when I did archery at Uni but never got around to it.
Not sure if this works out cheaper in the long run than buying bow after bow.
Also a take down recurve makes it easy to transport.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Most clubs will do a weekend introduction/instruction and explain all of the different types of bows, their pro-cons and see what fits you. Then just see how you get on and see if its something you like. I am not saying you cant just go buy a bow and fumble through but you could end up paying a lot of money for something unsuitable and also get bored of missing and give up.

PS the cost of these courses is usualy buttons, about £30 as far as i remember.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE