composting Veg tan off cuts.........

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Just been reading "The Identity Store's" site and found this bit of info'..............

Quote.......
"4. Recycle
We believe in a ‘cradle to cradle’ approach, but if the life of a leather product has to end the biodegradability of all parts of the product have to be considered. Under the right conditions leather can be composted and we are working to understand the differences in biodegradability between different leathers. Undoubtedly vegetable/smoke tanned leathers lead the way."

I've got all sorts of small off cuts that aren't much use, but this might be a better idea than just bining them.

Richard

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've been thinking about getting a stick tang blade and making a stacked leather handle( sometime never:rolleyes:) but you're right about how the "bits" build up.

I wondered if it was acceptable, to put leather scraps in the council composting bins?:bluThinki

I hate throwing the stuff away but better to compost it than bin it, as you say:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some kinds boil up for glue.
However, what about a thread full of small things ideas ?

I have patterns for amulet pouches, mini boot and mocassin shaped keyrings, leather patches, hairwraps, woggles for scarves, belt loops.....that kind of thing.

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Some kinds boil up for glue.
However, what about a thread full of small things ideas ?

I have patterns for amulet pouches, mini boot and mocassin shaped keyrings, leather patches, hairwraps, woggles for scarves, belt loops.....that kind of thing.

cheers,
Toddy
Someone posted a picture of a woggle, but cut from one piece of leather like a inuit thimble, a small scrape of leather would be idel

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Never knew you could compost leather!!!! I keep all the small bits and let the kids use them or make fobs out of the. Any shavings i hang onto.

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
I've been thinking about getting a stick tang blade and making a stacked leather handle( sometime never:rolleyes:) but you're right about how the "bits" build up.

I wondered if it was acceptable, to put leather scraps in the council composting bins?:bluThinki

I hate throwing the stuff away but better to compost it than bin it, as you say:)

Im pondering making full tang scales with them! Will have to see how it works out...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE