Compasses and having a "Blonde moment"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TyroTarper

Jul 17, 2007
Loughborough
If you use an OS Map you don't have to worry about the variation. Set the map so mag north is the same as grid north then take bearings as normal. Mathematicians call it a linear transformation!

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
How to tie a Magnus-hitch,
"Take two round-turns through the ring of an anchor, &c., and bring the end over the standing part, then round the ring and through the bight."
The Art of Rigging

:dunno: I need to see it to understand it.

silva7.jpg

This map does not "tell" me my magnetic declination in English, it does so in Mapanese.

silva17.jpg

Still need to know a little Mapanese to set this compass. As handy as this feature may be, this compass doesn't get out that much.

This is also a Declination diagram (big d, no magnets)
declinationdiagram.jpg

Careful Biker, "time'' can get a little twisted as well, even has it's own Equation. Universal, standard, local mean, apparent, daylight savings, leap seconds....so maybe no solar compass just yet. Then again, it's not rocket science either...
0000020t.jpg

I can't show you my solar compass until NASA rejects it :rolleyes: . It's way better than Bill Nye's.....I've said too much.:27:

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
When I saw the latest Bushcraft Betty, I knocked a full glass of water onto my mouse. Shorted out the mouse, waterlogged a stack of bills and tax forms.:lmao:You deserve this.

B.U.S.T.* and Bushcraft Betty.
Long before Bushcraft Betty got anywhere near The Grand Teton, she paid a visit to Tetilla Peak.
tetillapeak.jpg

Betty is somewhere south of the purple "FOREST'', looking at this,

tetillapanocochiti.jpg

She's going to find a good spot, set up camp and then she wants to head to the tippy top, watch the sun set in the west(-erly direction) . This means she's going to need to find her campsite in the dark, without too much messing around.....

Nomogram for Biker
Nomogram for Biker

Sundials and nomograms and such, can be used in reverse. This is worth printing out,
http://www.crsociety.net/images/6-1.jpg
You probably know or can google your latitude so, this nomogram can tell you how much daylight you will have on any given day of the year. For any latitude, any day. Just like a computer/gps only it's a piece of paper, with a string. Instruction #2 should say "a string" between "stretch" and "across".

*Bravo4 Uninsured Slacker Travel :deal:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for the visual aids Bravo4. You're right seeing the photos makes a whole lot more sense and certailny less intimidating. I'm not going to get anorak about this, I just wanted to know the why of it.

Gives you a whole new appreciation for those DamBuster navigators in the Lancasters who did the whole run "blind" and found thier targets.

Tally-hoe chaps

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When I saw the latest Bushcraft Betty, I knocked a full glass of water onto my mouse. Shorted out the mouse, waterlogged a stack of bills and tax forms.:lmao:You deserve this.

:lmao: My cunning plan to rid the world of tax forms and computer mice has begun! Today New Mexico, tomorrow ... ummm the next street over? :eek:

I was doing OK with the map and the photo and the description but right after the

Nomogram for Biker
Nomogram for Biker

bit you lost me. I think you're also crediting me with entirely too much IQ. Think animated cabbage and you'll be within the ballpark for me.

Still chuckling about your reaction to Bushcraft Betty, that's made my morning. Thanks! And sorry about the forms... dat'll learn ya :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE