Compass/watch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cockney greg

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2014
London E17
Hi folks, I'm thinking about getting a compass watch and don't want to pay the earth. I wondered what experiences you've had with them both good and bad. I've seen that there are loads on evil-bay or Amazon and was looking for a bit of feedback please. Thanks.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya,

Do you mean the digital type? If so I've had a couple, Casio and Suunto. Prefered the Suunto as you could replace the battery yourself; saving time and money. It was also more accurate. So saying I only really used it to walk on a known bearing or orienting myself somewhere new. For proper navigation I stuck to a proper compass as it was way more accurate and easier to use in conjunction with a map. But then I'm a bit of a retentive when it comes to navigation in bad weather/difficult terrain.

cockney greg

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2014
London E17
Hi Goatboy, yes, digital compass with analog style watchface mate. I see Timex do a whole bunch too. Thanks for the info about accuracy too.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Used to stock the Timex ones when they first came out, one thing I would say it that the quality was terrible (this was a couple of years ago though). Many were faulty before they could even leave the store and the setting of the hands and numerals was pretty shoddy too. Don't know what they're like now, hopefully it was just setting up problems for Timex at the time and they've improved now. Just have a close look at any you buy. Numbers on squint and misaligned wasn't uncommon.

(Sorry not trying to be a killjoy! Just warning you before you spend a bit of cash).

Cheers,
GB.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I agree with Goatboy and have the Sunnto Vector issued as part of my rescue equipment. Its a very nice watch with lots of useful features. In the mountains I mostly use the altimeter & stop watch for navigation, the altimeter is particularly useful in this respect. The barometer function is quite handy if you are camping out or on expedition when you don't have access to a weather forecast. I don't ever use the compass as I also carry a traditional Silva compass. The Vector compass would never replace my main compass unless I lost or broke it. I can't really think of a time when you would use it unless you were in some kind of survival situation?
There's been a few threads about poor customer service from Sunnto and if you have skinny wrists the watches look and feel huge! Good kit if you can afford it but not essential by any means.

cockney greg

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2014
London E17
Used to stock the Timex ones when they first came out, one thing I would say it that the quality was terrible (this was a couple of years ago though). Many were faulty before they could even leave the store and the setting of the hands and numerals was pretty shoddy too. Don't know what they're like now, hopefully it was just setting up problems for Timex at the time and they've improved now. Just have a close look at any you buy. Numbers on squint and misaligned wasn't uncommon.

(Sorry not trying to be a killjoy! Just warning you before you spend a bit of cash).

Cheers,
GB.

No killjoy, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. You can get lots of "good" reviews from people online who never actually go out and use the compass.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As Limaed says the barometer is a useful function and like him the one I used most, a good window on what the weather was up too and useful in navigation is you were searching for something (like a path junction or summit) in poor visibility.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Agree with the above, have had both Casio and Suunto and the latter are the better in my humble opinion.
useful stuff, the altimeter, just that extra bit of data makes all the difference in poor vis.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE