Compass terminology

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

I feel I’ve done this to death, but Stuart (the Mod), suggested I post this thread.

I was asking some questions about Tru-Nord compasses. Then I bought a couple, which were wrongly set and then I opened a whole can of worms regarding terminology, hence Stuart’s suggestion.

I thought:-

Declination was the variance between magnetic north and true/grid north
Inclination was the angle at which the magnetic field subtends the earth’s surface
and
Deviation was local error due to other magnetic fields

However, it appears I’m a Muppet, or a Boffin depending on your point of view. Could someone please make a definitive statement about this terminology.

Ta ever so.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
declination seems to be one of those incorrect terms that has been used for so long that it is generally excepted.

declination infers a vertical angle, not a horizontal one so Variation wound be a more accurate term.

either way it is really only an academic argument.

both declination and variation are accepted terms for the variance between magnetic north and true/grid north

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE