COMBAT STRESS - Fundraising.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
maxresdefault.jpg

Hello Everyone

In 2019 I will be driving as part of a larger Expedition Convoy to Nordkapp , Norway - a journey of 2500 miles to raise funds for COMBAT STRESS .

I'd ask if possible you consider donating what you can to a great cause in helping servicemen with various difficulties.

Please , if you can donate - Do.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/charitydrivenordkapp

( I should add the above post has been cleared with Tony )

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Once more , I'm not quite sure if you are actually saying something here , or just Trying to say something??

Feel free to clarify with some specifics if you so care.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ok.
please do not get angry.

In April, the road condition can be very nice and dry, or hellish, slippery from snow and ice. In worst case we have rain in the evening and plus degrees, then it gets freezing during night and the road is slippery like an ice hockey rink.
Dry tarmac now, a huge melting ice patch just around the bend.

As Norway is a long country, you will get a huge difference in climate from the south to north, from low lying areas to the mountains.
Spring in the south, snow blizzards in the north. Zero visibility. Normal.

March/April are the trickiest months for the weather in northern Norway.
Trust me, I live there part of the year. Both in March/April, and in summer..
For a safe drive, you should do what everybody does in Scandinavia, specially the north : get studded tyres.
But remember, they became illegal after May 1st.

Driving basically non stop, just changing drivers and resting when the other person is driving?
Is it really a good idea to drive tired under treacherous conditions, in a country you do not know, on roads that are winding, sometimes with a cliff on one side and a drop on the other, on the (for you) wrong side of the road?

Do you and your co driver have experience from driving on ice, snow? On summer tyres?
(I assume you will have the normal mixed use summer tyres Defender owners like ).
Have you driven that way before?

Nordkapp is a cool experience. Really cool in December, a really dry and clear day/night.
Aurora Borealis. Those clear nights are rare as hen's teeth though.
Also cool in summer, to see the sun above the horizon at mid night.
Lots of tourists go there.

Do not tell them it is not the northernmost point on mainland Europe.
It is on the promontory just to the west of Nordkapp.....
But it was easier to build the Tourist Centre on Nordkapp I guess?

Just wanting to be helpful. Be safe. No cause is worth risking your life or health for.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Janne - that's fine and I am not angry , excited or anything else.

You've expressed your opinion and personal experience - I will now pass it on to the Exped leader.

Thank You.

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi TeeDee,

I would like to sponsor your trip having benefited from CS in the past.

However I’m unable to use the Just Giving Site have you another way to donate.

Cheers

Boots

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi Stood ,
Erm , You can Paypal me directly if you like (?) and i'll pass your funds on.

How does that sound? I'll PM you.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Check if the leader has driven in northern Scandinavia.

(Imo, summertime is a far more suitable time. I repeat, March/April is the worst time if the year to do a such trip. )
If you are able to drive back ‘in your own time’ you have a possibility to do some good touristing and nature enjoyment! Even in late winter!

We are several members here that know Norway well and can give advice.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Check if the leader has driven in northern Scandinavia.

(Imo, summertime is a far more suitable time. I repeat, March/April is the worst time if the year to do a such trip. )
If you are able to drive back ‘in your own time’ you have a possibility to do some good touristing and nature enjoyment! Even in late winter!

We are several members here that know Norway well and can give advice.

I've had a chat with the Exped leader this morning and raised all your comments. Yes he has driven to Northern Scandinavia quite a few times and he has justified to me his choice of departure date and the route going up. But thank you for your concern.

Feel free to support us with a donation.

Reactions: Janne

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Bump.
Would be interesting to hear.......

Or another fake fundraising?
( sorry to be so blunt!)

According to the Just Giving page linked to by the OP, 74 people chipped in and just over £2700 was raised and paid directly to the registered UK charity Combat Stress.

https://www.combatstress.org.uk/

Both the OP (and the person who offered to donate are) full members of the forum (ie they contribute financially to the running of the forum) but have not been active on here recently. The money raised got to the right people and there is nothing to suggest any impropriety.

If you donated and genuinely feel that you have been the victim of some kind of deception then perhaps a discrete PM to the OP would be the way forward rather than making snide remarks on a public forum.

On the other hand, if you are just bored and looking for something to do, then rather than trolling a year old thread, perhaps you could treat the members of the forum to a trip report from your most recent visit to Norway which IIRC was about the same time.

Sorry to be so blunt! ;)

Reactions: mikehill

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Done!

I have been $crewed by several ‘ charities’ and fund raisers in the past, and have developed a very suspicious streak in my personality.

Several of those sites where you can give to charities are run like a hard money making business, with quite high fees taken from the money gifted. Check out that site, ‘justgiving’

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Done!

I have been $crewed by several ‘ charities’ and fund raisers in the past, and have developed a very suspicious streak in my personality.

Several of those sites where you can give to charities are run like a hard money making business, with quite high fees taken from the money gifted. Check out that site, ‘justgiving’

Less than 60 seconds of elementary level G00gle-fu (always worth doing before accusing someone of something which would probably leave you picking up your pearly whites from the ground in the carpark if you said it to their face in a pub), suggests that your concerns that you had been the victim of a “fake fundraising” scam are groundless.

https://www.flipflopsorwellies.co.uk/planning-a-european-road-trip-to-nordkapp-in-the-arctic-circle/

https://www.midweekherald.co.uk/news/former-soldier-raises-money-for-combat-stress-1-6034173

Don’t worry (apart from a 1.9% plus 20p processing charge/commission levied by Just Giving) 100% of your doubtless generous donation will have gone to Combat Stress a very worthy cause! :)

Reactions: TeeDee and mikehill

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No, not scamned by this fundraiser, charity or collecting organisation. Never wrote that.
You need new reading glasses.

I hope at least, even if the drive did not happen, that the money donated went to the charity as intended

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE