Colourful Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
As you guys seem to be somewhat religous about moras and also seem to have a problem with the distinction of "weapon or tool" I just thought I´d show you something I stumbled upon.
http://www.moraofsweden.se/index.php?cid=&id=337&ssel=&lng=2

A couple of years ago a guy got tired of putting down green items and then spending time looking for them so he made a line of fluorecent orange kit. The blaze orange thermos is a hit with primaryschool outdoor activities as you can see all the cups being left behind.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I like.............one would go with my Fjallraven Jarra jacket very nicely............any ideas as to cost and how to get them as a web search has proved inconclusive.

Mark

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I got an orange clipper last year - very hard to lose in the woods!

It's the 860F model and costs pretty much the same as any other Clipper.

Mine is stainless but not sure if they do a carbon steel one.

imagexb8.jpg

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Certainly is hard to miss, although I'd prefer a very bright yellow...........I love bright yellow kit! (o:

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I got an orange clipper last year - very hard to lose in the woods!

It's the 860F model and costs pretty much the same as any other Clipper.

Mine is stainless but not sure if they do a carbon steel one.

imagexb8.jpg

Yes, that is an 860F. All the same as the stainless clipper (860) but with the orange to scar your retinas.

As far as I am aware there is no 840F (High Carbon Steel version) at the moment.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
no way would get me buying that bright orange gear carmoflarge and not been seen or herd is name of my game in bushcraft and well with that you definatly would be seen

That's all very well and good until your drab-coloured quiet movements in the bushes are mistaken for those of a deer. Target ID can get forgotten about in the heat of the first-morning-of-season-only-go-in-the-woods-once-a-year deer fever.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
no way would get me buying that bright orange gear carmoflarge and not been seen or herd is name of my game in bushcraft and well with that you definatly would be seen

Seen by whom? When I go out I tend to avoid the crowds anyway, so I could dress as a circus clown and nobody would notice.

Most animals only see in black-and-white, so they won't notice any difference if you wear blaze orange gear. There's a reason deer hunters can still hunt while wearing it you know ;)

Birds have colour vision and will notice bright colours, which is why turkey hunters in the USA don't have to wear blaze orange. But I don't really care if a few crows spot me in the woods.

I suspect a lot of objections are because it's not "cool"... that's never bothered me, if it's practical and does the job that's all I care about. Don't follow the herd chaps ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I suspect a lot of objections are because it's not "cool"... that's never bothered me, if it's practical and does the job that's all I care about. Don't follow the herd chaps ;)

It is not that "Blaze Orange" is not "cool" - it is that it is totally migraine inducing!:eek:
As someone who wears Olive nearly all the time (even my one and only suit is green!) and finds wearing patterns of any sort and any bright colours "uncomfortable" the very idea of wearing "Blaze Orange" discombobulating!
A very "Safe" colour to wear in the woods if they are full of short sighted hunters armed with leathal weaponry , I have no doubt. A pleasant colour to wear - not for me!
I will not follow the herd - or go into the woods of the US in deer hunting season:eek:
Remember the song by Tom Lehrer? "
I always will remember, twas a year ago.....
There are 10 stuffed heads on my trophy wall right now.....
2 gamewardens, 7 hunters and a pure bred Gurnsey cow!"

I will stick to UK woods and my earth tone clothing....;)

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Earth tones are great until it's twilight and you're as absent-minded as I am... having spent time hunting around the undergrowth for olive kit it's nice to have a tool that's hard to lose :)

Better organised campers won't have this as an issue, but for this bumbling chappie the less chance I have of losing it the better ;)

Anyway, in terms of the Mora it's usually tucked under the hem of a jacket when not in use... I certainly don't wander around the woods in a head-to-tow blaze orange camo outfit. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have no problem with blaze orange handled knives. Totally jiggy wit dem. Except in the fall, where they blend in with the leaves. Unless you want to blend in with the leaves. Just don't make me buy a smock to match. Well actually, I only said that because I'm practicing saying smock. Smock is not a word we use here in the colonies unless you are an arteest. So this is the only place I can use the word Smock. Smock, smock, smock. Hard to get use to... :dunno:

pak9d.jpg

For a handle color that sticks out during all seasons, try blue. :) Other than flowers, blue is a pretty rare color among wild vegetation. Personally, I like a lanyard on a knife with reflective cord. That way you can find your knife in the dark with a flashlight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE