coloured filters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
got me a gerber recon torch, nice little thing but i was wondering what the different coloured filters are for? I know reds to maintain your night vision, but havent a clue about green or blue??

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
got me a gerber recon torch, nice little thing but i was wondering what the different coloured filters are for? I know reds to maintain your night vision, but havent a clue about green or blue??

You can use them for tracking. Especially with the green filter you can make light prints in sandy-ish soil more visible. But also when signalling to rescue (civvy / military): red - negative (danger?), green (positive).

Not sure on the blue one though.

gilly0802

Tenderfoot
blue light is sometimes used as it penetrates mist/fog better than other filters (like some cars have ice blue headlights)

the green is sometimes used when reading a map as red makis it impossable to see certain features (particularly contours)

H

He' s left the building

I know for military use, I'm told that when the vehicles get re-plens (re-stocked) at night each colour is a different commodity, eg red for fuel, green for food, white for orders; I may have got the colours wrong but it's something like that. The vehicles drive through a re-plen point and come out the other end battle-ready.

One very useful tip is to have a couple of feet of 550 para-cord tied to the end, by whirling it round your head (Croc Dundee style?!!) you become much more visible to helicopters at night as they see the movement and the light, much more effective apparently than just the light alone. Might be useful in a rescue scenario or just to impress the kids in photos?!

ps what I like most about this torch is the price, the size and it only takes one AA battery, very economical and light, I'm getting my eight year nephew one for Xmas!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I shoot a fair bit and i have filters on my lamping kit.

White light gives the longest beam but as said destroys NV (and spooks bunnys easily)

Red shortens (dims) the beam so preserves NV it also provides a good contrast between anything green and brown (like rabbits in the grass but still spooks the bunnys a bit)

Orange is a compromise between white and red ( probably the one i use most)

Blue i use mainly when its foggy or raining as it penetrates better and doesn't reflect the light from rain as much.

madfaxman

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 27, 2007
Belfast
www.vocalireland.com
The Blue and GreenFilters are also used for blood tracking.

IT is used mainly for hunting (when u hit the animal but it doesnt go down right away) Apprently blood stands out very nicely when using the blue / green filters.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The blue light will contrast the blood better against vegetation etc , never had to use it for that though.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Gerber says that he green light is for map reading - this makes sense as contour lines disappear if using a red light to preserve night vision.

Dec 16, 2007
In the back of EEAST (Essex) ambulances we have a blue filtered light in the center of the roof. It is called the trauma light and is ment to make blood standout more and veins show up better under skin so you can get a line in when you need to give fluid. Also I find it nicer to work in at night.

With the Paracord and swing it round your head thing is better with a Glow stick or as I have got a Krill light. At night it shows up as a complete circle if done fast enough and I teach it to ambulance recruits if we use the SAR helecopter at night. Not so good with the air ambulance as it only flys in the day but then we should be in Hi Viz jakets. sorry bit off topic then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE