Colour of sleeping bag liner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sachapost

Apr 21, 2015
The Netherlands
Hi there,

One of my first posts :) couldn't really find an answer through the search function! People have discussed the use of sleeping bag liners before, and I am considering getting a silk liner for its versatility, because it can be used all seasons, mainly to keep my sleeping bag clean. However, the liner I have laid my eyes on is white. Buying a coloured one would cost me extra. I was wondering if a white liner would be impractical? My experience is that in wet weather everything gets muddy really fast, I always seem to come back from a trip covered in charcoal and mud. Does anyone have experience with white silk liners? Are they hard to clean afterwards?

Looking forward to your replies!
Sacha

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Silk washes very well unless it's the tissue fine stuff. I have silk thermal underwear because it doesn't get stinky and that just goes through the washing machine on a normal wash.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If you're getting the inside of your sleeping bag THAT dirty how about taking a change of clothes instead?

I've tried liners but just can't get on with them, they always seem to end up in a tangled mess at the bottom of the sleeping bag after a few hours, i do toss and turn a fair bit though.

So now days i have a clean dry set of clothes that i change into just before bed, kinda like PJ's
Works for me as it keeps my sleeping bag clean, they don't end up at the bottom of the bag plus it's nice to have something dry and clean to change into after a long hard wet hike.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Silk dyes easily.
Tea will dye it orangey brown very quickly…..and that won't show grubbiness as much as the white ones do.

If you're going to dye it do it before you use it, that way grease from your skin and hair won't cause the dye to take up unevenly.

Toddy

sachapost

Apr 21, 2015
The Netherlands
Thanks everyone for your replies.

If you're getting the inside of your sleeping bag THAT dirty how about taking a change of clothes instead?

I've tried liners but just can't get on with them, they always seem to end up in a tangled mess at the bottom of the sleeping bag after a few hours, i do toss and turn a fair bit though.

So now days i have a clean dry set of clothes that i change into just before bed, kinda like PJ's
Works for me as it keeps my sleeping bag clean, they don't end up at the bottom of the bag plus it's nice to have something dry and clean to change into after a long hard wet hike.

I used cotton liners before, but I found them a bit too clammy. But didn't really get tangled up though. I like the idea of taking a spare set of clean clothes regardless. Would you just take an extra base layer?

Silk dyes easily.
Tea will dye it orangey brown very quickly…..and that won't show grubbiness as much as the white ones do.

If you're going to dye it do it before you use it, that way grease from your skin and hair won't cause the dye to take up unevenly.

Toddy

Thanks for the tip! Plain white one for sure then.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
i cant help you with the liner; but the best advive i was ever given about searching this site was to use google: something to do with the size of the server: try your search terms in google and then type

site:bushcraftuk.com

seems to work:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I used cotton liners before, but I found them a bit too clammy. But didn't really get tangled up though. I like the idea of taking a spare set of clean clothes regardless. Would you just take an extra base layer?

Sounds like you are a less active sleeper then, so a liner might work well.

For sleeping clothes i recently asked this question on another forum and was pointed towards these top and these bottoms

It was a great recommendation, my long sleeved top is 105g, the bottoms 85g.
To put that into perspective my silk liner is 134g

The material of the top and bottoms is comfortable to the skin, it's warmer than it should be, but also wicks sweat well.

I tend to strike camp, eat, i'll have a cat lick wash using wet wipes, then change into the dry sleep clothes.
Have done this for a while and find it really is something i look forward too, even if the weather is warm it's nice to get out of the clothes i've spent all day in and into to some soft dry clothes.
If it's raining all day it's better still.

Sleeping bag liners will keep your bag cleaner and give a few more degrees of insulation, but emergencies aside it's really only a single use item.
With a set of PJ's you have a spare pair of clothes if needs must, on longer trips you can wear them while you launder your hiking clothes.

Works great for me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE