Collecting firewood in Scandinavia?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In Sweden it is allowed to take dead wood, including chopping down standing dead trunks ( lots of those on marshes).

But, I would recommend that you ask in the neares house for permission as courtesy. Even if the law is on your side I petsonally would respect a "no" and move on.

Breaking off living branches is illegal, but again, if you ask in the nearest house they usually do not mind, if you do it properly, without damaging the trunk.

I never had any problem, the folks usually invited me for a coffee, a bit of moonshine, even food. Lovely people
, the country people!
Only once in about 20 years of hiking was I met with hostility, a shotgun poking through the door. I said dorry and walked away.

The main principle is - do not disturb, do not damage.

For example it is not legal to lit a fire on exposed rocks.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im talking about the middle of winter, base camping.

Frankly Im gonna go out there and do it, deep in the wilderness. January. Id be surprised if I saw anyone who complained about me having a stove in my tent. Or staying for more than one day in the same locaiton. If they did, Id move on. But thanks for you input.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Im talking about the middle of winter, base camping.

Frankly Im gonna go out there and do it, deep in the wilderness. January. Id be surprised if I saw anyone who complained about me having a stove in my tent. Or staying for more than one day in the same locaiton. If they did, Id move on. But thanks for you input.

Allemansrätten is a Code of Honor, if you like.

The main part is as I said - Do not disturb, do not damage.
Of course you can stay more than one day in the same place! And have a fire!

We were tought in school this: behave like you would in your garden.
I hope you have a great time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE