Collapseable bow saw

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Mornig all. Yester day I found a site that had a collapse bow saw for sale, in use it was like the old fashioned with 2 uprights, the blade at the bottom, a bracing bar in the middle and a tensioning bar or rope at the top. This whole lot could be taken apart and stored in its self, leaving you with a pipe the length of the blade.

The only snagh is I cant for the life of me think where I found it. Can any one help, I dont need this kind of torment this early.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
My guess is it is a take down buck saw and I have one, which I am happy to sell but only because I got a better option. (see this review HERE)

The one that stores in the tube is great to use and very comfortable in the hand but it uses a modified blade and can be fiddly to put together.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Is it the one called the 'Commando pack saw'?

If it is my advice is don't get one. I have one - the saw blades have a small bump on their sides to keep the blade recessed and tensioned. After a couple of pulls of the saw the point on the main tube that the blade slots through simply couldn't take the strain and parted enough to allow the blade to spring loose. Now its useless (Well actually I could put a couple of spot welds on the blades to keep them in place but the initial failure has made me unwilling to trust it.)
That being said it's just sitting in the shed now - you're welcome to have it if you want and you can experiment for free rather than buying one :D

PM me your address if you want it and I'll post it on to you.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have one and it came with a couple of small split rings that you connect to the end of the blade and then stop it being pulled through the 'cut'

having said that it has just got a course metal blade.... I have bought a 12" bowsaw blade from b&Q however it has to be carried 'out of the system' as it dosn't fit in the 'tube'

for what it is / packdown size it works remarcably well

can't beat a proper bow saw though however a nightmare to transport!!!

Marts said:
Is it the one called the 'Commando pack saw'?

If it is my advice is don't get one. I have one - the saw blades have a small bump on their sides to keep the blade recessed and tensioned. After a couple of pulls of the saw the point on the main tube that the blade slots through simply couldn't take the strain and parted enough to allow the blade to spring loose. Now its useless (Well actually I could put a couple of spot welds on the blades to keep them in place but the initial failure has made me unwilling to trust it.)
That being said it's just sitting in the shed now - you're welcome to have it if you want and you can experiment for free rather than buying one :D

PM me your address if you want it and I'll post it on to you.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
MagiKelly said:
This is the one I am talking about. It takes a full 24 inch blade and works great. The blade has plastic lugs on the ends to take the strain. These seem strong enough but I suspect small nuts and bolts could be used to the same effect.

http://www.cspoutdoors.com/trailblaztak.html

Ive had one of these for a few years, mate from BC brought me one for a crimbo present, great tool, ingenious design, light and works well, only snag if any is you need to buy specific blades for it and youre guarranteed to lose the bit of wire that stops it all falling out of the tube first time you put it down :rolleyes:

Just checked and mine is actually the 18" version.

I also have a set of plans for an original Marples cabinet makers framesaw in PDF format if anyboy wants a look, havent got round to making it yet and its not really a bushcraft saw but could be easily adapted, pm email adds to me if interested.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
I really fancy one of the takedown buck saws, you can't beat a large bow saw for efficient and safe cutting but the standard steel ones are a real pain to pack. there's a nice article about the different types of saw, including the aluminium tube type, here..
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/saw.html
and here's a couple of nice wooden buck saws..
http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,5573.htm
http://www.survivalschool.com/products/knives_sharpeners/Buck_Saw.htm
I'd really like a copy of the frame saw plans for future reference if possible jason01, if i remember rightly, the traditional marples frame saw is basically the same design as the wooden buck saws and uses the same method for tensioning the blade (twisted rope or cord). I really like the idea of for field use as it would be relatively easy to replace or repair.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
You can easily make a frame from Hazel. and it's completely free, you can replace parts as you need them it all goes back to nature when you've finished with it and it's fun to make and use.
Like you said it works on the tensioning at the top principle.
There's a picture of me using one in the gallery or I can post some better pictures if you want me too

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've tried those tube pack saws and wasn't impressed - got on better with a laplander or my pruning saw. I saw this a while back though - looked good

CL105.jpg

Seems like a proper saw and spare blades are available

Attleborough

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE