Coleman stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Looking at trying something else other than my favourite hexi. Anyone know the difference between the Coleman 442 stove or the 533. Both seem to use Coleman or unleaded fuel.

Mervg

Dec 7, 2014
uk
If you get one use Aspen 4 fuel. Much cleaner and much cheaper than Coleman. I have the 533 - it’s brilliant !!!

Reactions: nigelp

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you get one use Aspen 4 fuel. Much cleaner and much cheaper than Coleman. I have the 533 - it’s brilliant !!!
It's even cheaper to use brake and clutch cleaner. It's what a lot of stove enthusiasts use as an alternative to Aspen or Colemans.

I paid £20.48 for 5 litres recently but if you want a real bargain on it then this chap sells it on ebay in 25 litre barrels for £57

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The 442 is smaller by some way but stabilised with the feet extended. The 533 is a big piece of kit, about twice the size in footprint, definitely more for car camping. There's not that much difference in the burner or performance if I remember rightly. I still have the 442 albeit slightly bent.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Great advice thanks all of you. Amazing you can also brake and clutch cleaner as a fuel. Just thinking of a change and this is better than gas for my hillwalks or camps.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Great advice thanks all of you. Amazing you can also brake and clutch cleaner as a fuel. Just thinking of a change and this is better than gas for my hillwalks or camps.
It's the same thing just with a couple bits in it that aren't in Aspen.

Purists like the chap running The Base Camp doesn't recommend it but as I said a lot of folks use it without any issues

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
As long as you are using it outside, unleaded is ok, but still has a lot of crap in it to make it go better in a car.... Brake & Clutch cleaner are the unadultereated hydrocarbons (normally naptha and propan-2-ol) so burn much cleaner

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
@MikeLA all i can say is be aware to check the seals everytime you use them , we were on a night fishing trip and my mate said i pop the stove on for a brew , he went i nthe bivvy and pumped the stove up tunred the switch and went to light the next thing he was running out screaming FFFFFFFFFFF it blew up , it appears the seals must have perished and since the last use a week before got weak enough to let him pump it and hold the pressure then wham let go , he lost a lot in that night but got lucky it only singed his hands

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As long as you are using it outside, unleaded is ok, but still has a lot of crap in it to make it go better in a car.... Brake & Clutch cleaner are the unadultereated hydrocarbons (normally naptha and propan-2-ol) so burn much cleaner
Propan-2-ol aka isopropanol lisn't a hydrocarbon it's an alcohol.....it has a flash point of 12c (more or less same as ethanol) compared to 50c for naptha give or take depending on the actual mix. Plus it can form explosive peroxides.

There is a good reason to avoid using anything containing it in a pressurised or heated system

Reactions: gibson 175

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Hopefully, none of us will wind up like Scott in Antarctica. Coleman’s are brilliant when maintained properly.
My grandmother’s place was red tagged after the Northridge Earthquake. I took mine over and had hot coffee and soup going for
Neighbors I grew up with.

Reactions: Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE