Coleman lantern - deluxe model 201! Need help and advice..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Any idea of the value of this lantern?

I had a quick play earlier but i need to read up fully before trying again as I got a little scared lol!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I decided to open it up and clean it a little. I used a tooth brush to remove loose rust off of the spirit bowl thing and the other bits.

After that I figured why not fill the cup up and give it a try! I followed the insructions on the body and...

After some flames I pressed go!

It needs a new mantle? I'll try eBay later for some but first does anyone know the exact one I'll need?

(My tablet runs really slow so I try not to open too many links)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It takes a Coleman no.21 mantle, IIRC. It will say so somewhere on the box.

Should look like this...

201a.jpg

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Superb!

Will the change of mantle make mine burn bright? Or as it need proper cleaning and an not?

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It should do. About the only other thing is if the generator needs replacing but your lantern doesn't look like it's had much use, so don't worry about that until you've tried a new mantle.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hopefully it is just that cuz I hope to sleep out on the weekend and id love a decent light source for once! Lol

We built a really beastly lean too shelter from a large dead tree and a plethora of hazel branches and shrub, so a good christening is in order. Its been built for about 2 months lol

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you're going to use it regularly-ish sort yourself a long spout squeezy bottle like this... http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?fid/399/tid/15281/
When your lantern was new there would have been one of these bottles in the box with it.

You need something to get spirit into the priming cup without having to dismantle the cowl &globe assembly (and risk damaging the mantle) every time you want to light it. A 'gas-match' type lighter or the long kitchen matches is also very useful with this lantern. It's a bit awkward as it is basically a #200 gasoline (petrol) lantern converted to run kerosene (paraffin).

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
What ill do is try it out for a night and if i like it enough to use it regularly ill get a bottle.

What i did earlier was use a straw to transfer the fluid to the cup. How much fluid does he cup need? And is it just to get a flame in there or to warm it all up as well?

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you fill the spirit/priming cup there will be enough there to adequately pre-heat the burner assembly. Shelter the lantern from wind.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I decided to open it up and clean it a little. I used a tooth brush to remove loose rust off of the spirit bowl thing and the other bits.

After that I figured why not fill the cup up and give it a try! I followed the insructions on the body and...

After some flames I pressed go!

It needs a new mantle? I'll try eBay later for some but first does anyone know the exact one I'll need?

(My tablet runs really slow so I try not to open too many links)

Looks to me like you've not pumped it enough, give it 30-50 pumps, you won't harm the lantern.

keithg

Jun 27, 2007
Aldridge, West Midlands
Hi Samon,
These are fantastic little lamps - particularly when you get one for just £4! There are loads of people who who pay ten times that to get their hands on one in good condition, so it's worth you persevering with getting used to it. You have been guided to Classic Pressure Lamps, which is good advice - there are loads of friendly, helpful people on there and heaps of info in past posts.

For my Coleman lamps, I have made my own meths bottle for priming. Colemans are slightly awkward in that to load the meths, you have to poke the tube through holes in the base plate, so the tube from the priming bottle is best to have a small bend in the end. I made my own, using brass tube from an aircraft model shop. You've probably found this already, but for the same reason I light with those long BBQ matches, so that you have plenty of match to hold as you poke the lit end through the hole and up towards the meths.

Enjoy your find, and by the way, it's addictive - it probably won't be the only one you get! (I'm currently at 2 Colemans, 3 Vapalux/Bialaddin, 1 Hipolito)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I certainly do like the look of it, and as bilmo so very kindly sent me a new mantle that arrived about ten minutes ago i might even get it fully working later!

Thanks for the advice guys and thanks a bunch bilmo, youre a top bloke!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The glass bowl is a little carbonised due to the lively flames from the spirit cup.. Any advice on getting it to light with as minimal excess as possible? Only a little bit of fuel?.. I tried less but I dont think it works. It makes a strong hissing sound once the bigflames have had a chance to warm it all up, it even lights that mantle before I open the valve. Obviously once its been on for a while turning the valve off kills the lift. So I don't think theres a leak or anything.

And how come it can't just light with a match, and no pre lighting of the cup etc. Is it the fuel type??

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Mantles need to be warmed that's the level of my knowledge on these things? Used to use Tilly lamps a lot for work..

Sent from somewhere?

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The sooting on the globe is probably not so much from the meths burning in the priming cup as from previous attempts at lighting the lantern. When it is cool remove the globe and wash the soot off with warm soapy water. Dry the globe as you would any other glassware, then re-fit it.
You can't light this (kerosene/paraffin) type of lantern straight off because the fuel needs to be warmed before it will vaporise to burn correctly. You can experiment with using less priming fuel (meths) to get it going but you will find that the priming cup-ful is the optimum amount in most circumstances.
Whatever fuel they use, all pressure lanterns hiss to some extent when running correctly; this is the nature of the beast

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
Looks like it is working fine. I have two Tilly parrafin lamps and a Coleman petrol. They are all great and a pleasure to use. The petrol is a little less fiddly to start as it does not need to be pre-heated. Even though I have three, I would have snapped that up for 4 quid.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Hot dawwggg!

I gave my lantern a good 30-40run just to check all is well/I was bored..

Seriously, this is brighter than I thought it'd be! And it killedma fly that touched the glass. Two in one, lol.

Getting more in love with it every time I pull it out the box!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE