Coleman lantern - deluxe model 201! Need help and advice..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo!

I got this Coleman kerosene lantern today. It says deluxe model 201 on it and comes with its box.

Now, I know noooothing about lanterns but I know some of you do! So can someone please let me know if its any good?

It appearsto be in great condition, and only an inner steel part is corroded. The little wife bag thing is new looking and it even has fuel still in it!

I refuse to light it until I know how to operate it safely, but it does look nice.

Anyone know anything about this little chap??

Thanks folks and folkettes!

Samon

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It is a superb lantern but a bit fiddly to light. Did you get a little squeezy bottle with a long curved spout with it?

Do you know how to light Tilley or Vapalux paraffin lanterns?

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hey, I didn't get anything but the lantern and the box..

And I've never even carried one, let alone lit or filled one!

Am I right in thinking its worth the £4 I paid..? Lol

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Have a look here.

A squeezy bottle with a long curved spout is very useful for filling the spirit cup. Easy to make with a little poly bottle and a piece of fine copper tube (gas thermocouples are a good source of suitable tube).

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice on guys, ill have a good read of the destructions later!

And I think its the spirit cup that's rusted. Is this piece replaceable?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm guessing kerosene. I'm a little nervous about lighting it..

I've been taken by man flu, so I'm a little useless right now. But when I'm better I'll read the net instructions and have a play.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Does this run of paraffin/Kerosine or Petrol/White Gas?

I'm guessing kerosene. I'm a little nervous about lighting it..

I've been taken by man flu, so I'm a little useless right now. But when I'm better I'll read the net instructions and have a play.

LOL. The word "kerosene" on the box should be a clue.

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
There should be a primer wick. If not check out Ebay or the tilly site.
Soak the primer in meths and place below the mantle. As the primer begins to burn out turn the nob to introduce the paraffin/kerosene. Make sure there is enough pressure in the fuel container by pumping up to 10 times before you start.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I've never lit this particular type of lantern but I have used tilley lamps and coleman petrol lamps for over 30 years. From what I can see, it looks like you fill the little dish at the bottom with meths and light it. Allow this to burn almost out then turn on the fuel valve. The burning meths will heat ( prime ) the generator and fuel within. If the paraffin in the generator is not hot enough it will not vapourise ( turn to gas ) and you will have a flare up and there will be 2 feet of flames coming up off it so light it well clear of any combustibles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE