Cold winter has destroyed midge population

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
what we need is pitcher plants that are Genetically modified to survive in scotland. and instead of nectar give off C02 as an incentive. if only i was a mad scientist...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The sundew used to be so common it was used as a herbal remedy. Nowadays it inhabits SSSI's :sigh:
It's very fond of midgies :D

Be absolutely brilliant if the weather has had an impact on the blighters :) even better if it's done in the mozzies and especially the clegs.:cool:

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The sundew used to be so common it was used as a herbal remedy. Nowadays it inhabits SSSI's :sigh:

Really? I had no idea that it wasn't common any more. You'd need a heck of a lot of them to make a decent hole in the midgie population though...

Gailainne

Life Member
Andy

I was talking to some of the guys on the hammock forums in the US and they swear by Permathrin, especially on their trousers for ticks, it kills them before they have a chance to settle. You can get it here for re-treating midge nets, and it will still work even after a few washes, I'm definitely going to try it, I seem to always pick up the little blighters.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Gailainne, ive used permethrin,id heard it was very good kills on contact,the down side is it seems to be very flammable,just ask my coveralls i had drying infront of the fire after a soaking through walking in waist deep wet bracken,the pemethrin coats the fabric and last about 2 weeks and dosent wash off easily which is good,but in the morning all's that was left of them was a button(they were about 5ft from fire so i assume a spark or ember landed on them and up they went)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Really? I had no idea that it wasn't common any more. You'd need a heck of a lot of them to make a decent hole in the midgie population though...

Loss of habitat. Drainage of peat bogs and the like. Drosera can be very common in some areas but their range is very depleted.

I agree about needing a heck of a lot of them though.

Did you hear about the woman who is asking folks to send her the dead midgies from those midge killer machines ? She is using them with dripping to make very healthy fat balls for the birds :)

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Gailainne, ive used permethrin,id heard it was very good kills on contact,the down side is it seems to be very flammable,just ask my coveralls i had drying infront of the fire after a soaking through walking in waist deep wet bracken,the pemethrin coats the fabric and last about 2 weeks and dosent wash off easily which is good,but in the morning all's that was left of them was a button(they were about 5ft from fire so i assume a spark or ember landed on them and up they went)

:lmao::lmao:

Still brings a smile to my face that Andy

You do seem to attract them though mate, two minutes at Achray and you were latched on to.

Nomad Travel sells it I think if you want any more.

Gailainne

Life Member

DAMN, that's something to remember ! :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Permithrin is the synthetic stuff made in emulation of pyrethrum.......dried chrysanthemum flowers.
Napoleons soldiers discovered that the powdered flowers killed off lice, scabies, fleas, crabs and bedbugs.

New eau de bushcraft........chrysanthemum :D

cheers,
Toddy

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I google'd it ages ago and aparently it a neurotoxin,though not usually toxic to most mammals although it is to cats, will defo get more for when the weather warms up,and YES i am a magnet for ticks for some reason,as well as midges ,well basically anything that bite's but will keep away for fire when wearing clothes treated with it.
Rich it was nomad i got mine from.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Ahh! Wet bracken, midgies and ticks.:approve:
Roll on summer!

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if they were worse for a while. Survival of the fittest and all that, a good winter to toughen up the species.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE