Cold wether gear suggestions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Im off to the highlands again in a few weeks and need some extreeme cold whether gear. I was told it was minus 20 the other day around the Cairngorms. Im also planning on going to Norway this year so the cloths will have to do me there as well.

I saw a jacket on here a few months back that was supposedly rated down to -20 but cant find it now.

Info im looking for is on specific items such as trousers boots shirts/undershirts and jackets and/or jumpers/fleeces. Brands and models if possible!!

Ive not been in conditions this cold yet (my coldest was a hammock at the middlewood meet that was minus 4) so ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.
Stu.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have written a lot about cold weather clothing. As have many others, search. -20 isn't exactly extreme. You'll be fine with a shell layer and woolen thermals as long as you're active, and a down jacket as a reinforcement layer during the breaks. Fur hat, shell+woolen mittens and some spare socks and soles too. With a cotton shell layer and woolen thermals I have been perfectly alright in down to -30 (whilst pulling a sled on skis). A backpack makes a lot of difference to, keeps the back warm and it is very windproof.

I mainly use cotton jackets from Norrøna, G1000 trousers from fjällräven, a down jacket from mountain equipment. On my feet I usually wear skiing shoes or my trusty lundhags. My thermals are from devold, they are the best I've tried. They make great socks too. Homemade iceland sweaters are my middle layer of choice. Shell mittens from hestra and homemade knitted mittens and gloves under that.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Stu,
Are you going hill walking/climbing/Bushcrafting or just staying low level in the Highlands? Ird agree a set of good baselayers and shell clothing/ extremities will be enough. Dont forget it may have been -20 last week but when you go it could be +10 the weather is that fickle.
Anyway if it is -20 in scotland it will be dry and you'll hardly notice it.
The wost weather we get in the Highlands is when the temperature hangs around the freezing mark and combines with strong winds and wet weather thats when you feel the cold.
Down is very good but I think for Scotland fleece is better especially in the Pertex/Pile combination (Buffalo). It works better in the damp and is easier to care for and usually cheaper.
Mountain Equipment make some very good shell clothing in GoreTex and some nice down gear too. For fleece Montane or Buffalo are hard to beat.
As for Norway Big Swede will know better than me! Ta Ed

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
I have experience in Norway and some trekking in the Tatra mountains, I would certainly agree with Buffalo. I used a synthetic base layer (lifa by Helly Hensen i think) then a Buffalo special six shirt and then a wind proof smock. This gave me good warmth down to -35, when active. When staionary i put on a Buffalo b.a.s.(British Antarctic survey) Parka, these are fantastic but don't sit too close to the fire. At these temretures it is unlikly to rain , however if it does or looks like it will, I use a poncho. For the pins I used standard army longjohns and arctic windproof trousers (dpm) if wet chuck some waterproof trousers on top of that.
Boots- if you can't afford Lundhags look at the issue cold weather boots- pro boots or pro xt boots (not webtex ones) these are very good imho, i have used pro boots down to -35 with a sorbothane insole, they were fantastic.
Hat and gloves are a must, i like thin leather gloves in an insulated mitten and a wram and water proof hat- berghaus used to make a very good one.
Look at yeti gaiters as well , they add a season to your boots and once on you can leave them on for the whole trip.
If you are only bushcrafting i might look at the cold weather jackets like an Alpha industries m65 parka and the modern examples from the swedish army.
Good luck, don't forget cold is a state of mind.
Peace.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
some weeks back, I bought a micro fibre blanket 150x200 from Lidl or Aldi, can't remember which one, my age yer know
icon11.gif
don't know how much it was either
icon10.gif
but it must have been cheap.

Thought it would come in handy for the grandkids when doing a spot of camping.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I have experience in Norway and some trekking in the Tatra mountains, I would certainly agree with Buffalo. I used a synthetic base layer (lifa by Helly Hensen i think) then a Buffalo special six shirt and then a wind proof smock. This gave me good warmth down to -35, when active. When staionary i put on a Buffalo b.a.s.(British Antarctic survey) Parka, these are fantastic but don't sit too close to the fire. At these temretures it is unlikly to rain , however if it does or looks like it will, I use a poncho. For the pins I used standard army longjohns and arctic windproof trousers (dpm) if wet chuck some waterproof trousers on top of that.
Boots- if you can't afford Lundhags look at the issue cold weather boots- pro boots or pro xt boots (not webtex ones) these are very good imho, i have used pro boots down to -35 with a sorbothane insole, they were fantastic.
Hat and gloves are a must, i like thin leather gloves in an insulated mitten and a wram and water proof hat- berghaus used to make a very good one.
Look at yeti gaiters as well , they add a season to your boots and once on you can leave them on for the whole trip.
If you are only bushcrafting i might look at the cold weather jackets like an Alpha industries m65 parka and the modern examples from the swedish army.
Good luck, don't forget cold is a state of mind.
Peace.

Great stuff. Keep them coming. A few more and ill have some choices on what to spend my money.

Stu

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Fjällräven is a bit expensive and don't have good specific clothes for cold weather. Their shell layers in G1000 are good in cold, but that's about it. Woolpower are very good thermal base layers, but I sincerely rate devolds expedition higher. A bit more expensive but worth it. If I would have a slightly tighter budget woolpower would be the one I guess. Get the 200s for base layer and the 600 shirt as a middle layer.

Never used the buffalo shirts, but hung out with a english guy (or was he welsh? he studied at Aberystwyth anyway) who used it when I was using cotton shells and woolen thermals. he was as happy as me in the cold. Used a down jacket in breaks like me though.

D

DrSin

My other hobby is caving and we use fleece under suits that I find dose the job of keeping you warm outside in this kind of weather very well. you can find them here
Furry suits

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE