Cold Steel Hawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I bought this Hawk out of a whim (But now realy want another!)

As it came out of the box it was semi sharp and painted black with a varnished handle (Though in this picture the handle has had a little sanding

Image009.jpg

Functional! but at £24 not bad.................................. however me being me could not leave it at that!

So I gave it a good sharpen and gave it a try out, after an hr or so chopping large seasoned cherry into small piesces of cherry I came to the following conclusions.

The Hawk holds a good edge
The hawk has better penetration then my SFA
It does not split well (Very thin profile)
It is light weight but the good penetration seems to compensate
It is Ugly as sin

After the chopping test this is how she looked

07042008054.jpg

07042008055.jpg

So to rectify the main problem (The looks) I looked at lots of different Hawks for inspiration and set to work

The head was held on with a small grub screw and friction so firstly the grub screw was removed and the head tapped off

07042008059.jpg

Next to the sander with the head and Very Very slowly away came the paint (I did not remove it all as I liked the hammered/forged look

07042008067.jpg

The handle had a very good sand and oil and on went the head (Looking better already!)

07042008068.jpg

This is where I got a little carried away!!

Next was the addition of an antler "foot" to the handle as I have seen on here recently (You know who you are)

And a leather wrap on the handle

10042008073.jpg

A spot of dye and the job as they say is a good un!

10042008076.jpg

10042008077.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures!

And as always comments please!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Do you get on with yours well over long term?

I am considering hanging the GB up for a while!

Hi pignut got a few axe's but my hawk is the one i use nearly all the time,use it for limbing,splitting,cutting wings of pheasants pigeons,prefer it because of its lightness,it must be a decent tool or it wouldent be so popular in the states.

Bernie

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Pignut,

I love my hawks too. Like you I got on well with the first so I got another 2. Each is a different weight so I tell myself that one is better for some jobs than another, and I only need to take one out with me.
Unfortunately I have been known to carry all 3!:D
I haven't personalised them yet, but you have set me thinking. The small Damascus hawk is very tempting too. I wonder if I could buy it for SWMBO birthday.Could be dangerous.
Thanks for pics, my SFA is getting dusty too.
George:)

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
what is so good about the Hawk i am not very knolagable in angles and grinds but what is the differance between one and an axe.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you break the helve, it is very easy to cut another piece of wood and slip the head on. No need for wedges and accurate carving, just as long as the wood you use can absorb shock and doesn't break it wil suffice until you get back to the world.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I have to put my hand up and admit I've never really used mine but after what some of you guys have said perhaps I should.

I couldn't find it on that link so can't say how much they are in the UK but I got mine from Ragnar over in the US and looking at his site,

http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

they still seam pretty cheap, £16.25 in real money with spare handles at $6 a pop.

I did make a neat little cover for the head, which I'm inordinately proud of, being quite cack handed.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE