COLD HANDS AND FEET

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

floatcloud

Aug 16, 2016
south east
Any recommendations for cold hands and feet while standing around in the woods listening to tree nuts explain cellular mechanisms of extreme cold tolerance in trees ? Thanks!
1f601.png

Just wondered if anyone uses any silk or wool liners or even heat pads.. or any other tips

Help please

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Best of all things to keep extremeties warm when not working are felt insoles, felt mitts and a merino & possum fur beanie; If it's really seriously cold use a Lowe Alpine mountain hat/cap, I defy anybody to get cold in one of those :emoji_snowflake:

Reactions: Toddy

clydeman

Aug 9, 2017
Glasgow
Wool socks and gloves works for me everytime....guess your at the stage where you have discovered that you have been running on the spot and doing a silly wee dance that would make michael Jackson look like a novice:singing::thumbsup:

bearbait

I prefer mitts of some sort as the outer layer for my hands. I feel that they're warmer than gloves as all your fingers are in the same "space" providing mutual warming, and are not subject to their own individual wind-chill. I wear a thin pair of silk gloves inside the mitts for the occasions when I need to use my fingers.

Also second the Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap for the head. I have a silk balaclava and a Rohan neck gaiter (at least that's what I call it) which I use in various combinations with the Mountain Cap to cut down wind-chill/temperature loss to the face/neck.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've just bought a pair of 'wristlets' off ebay. They are about 12" of wool to cover the fore arm with hooks to go over thumb fore and little fingers, leaving palm open and fingers exposed. [Shug wears something similar]. I have been very surprise how much a difference they have made, I wore them with a pair of fingerless gloves as I like to have fingers free for doing things.

couple of hard boiled eggs in your coat pocket? - handwarmer and lunch :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Look at Canadian winter bush boots with felt liners. Kamik, etc.
You must have a second pair of liners so one dries while you wear the other.
Dakota oilfield boots are good to -50C on the rigs.

I don't need anything more than Tolko snowmobile boots with liners.
Jump in barefoot to do snow shovelling at -20C.
I don't know how good they would be if I had to stand still for any length of time.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I've just bought a pair of 'wristlets' off ebay. They are about 12" of wool to cover the fore arm with hooks to go over thumb fore and little fingers, leaving palm open and fingers exposed. [Shug wears something similar]. I have been very surprise how much a difference they have made, I wore them with a pair of fingerless gloves as I like to have fingers free for doing things.

couple of hard boiled eggs in your coat pocket? - handwarmer and lunch :)

Wool wristlets are excellent for keeping the backs of your hands warm, this helps massively to keep the blood flowing. If it's really cold a pair of mitts over the top of them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What do the hunters and fishermen wear ? the bank fishermen I mean, the ones who are out overnight ? and the hunters who wait in the hides ? Those are the folks who stay still for hours on hours at a time.

I like the little clickable hand warmers. The reuseable ones that you just bring to the boil in a pot of water and then leave to cool to reactivate. I pick them up in the sales. I got heart shaped ones after Valentine's Day for 50p each :D

M

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Wool wristlets are excellent for keeping the backs of your hands warm, this helps massively to keep the blood flowing. If it's really cold a pair of mitts over the top of them.

Spent the week at Northwood wearing a pair for the meet.

Added a pair of thin contact woolen gloves over the top.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sheepskin, felt, warmers, it does not matter much how much you put on, one hugely important thing is to move.
Move hands, wiggle fingers and toes.
Keep the red cells flowing!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
-1˚C isn't Arctic cold here. We had -11˚C recently. I think that's more Arctic cold, especially when it bites in deep and stays frozen. .
We're supposed to get down to -double figures again this week coming too.

The UK has huge swings in temperature through the day and night. It was 11˚C in my garden this afternoon, for a little while :) right now it's -1.8˚C
That's pretty normal for us really at this time of year.

Frozen solid and under a blanket of snow, things survive. It's damned hard when it's constantly thawing and freezing though.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE