Cold Forging 18th Century Fish Hooks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This week, I'll mostly be eating.....
Question-mark-3.jpg

Keith.

Reactions: Janne

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats good and a well made video too.

But it seems a bit big for every day use. I know you are in Australia, but few except the biggest here would like that hook.

Thats good and a well made video too.

But it seems a bit big for every day use. I know you are in Australia, but few except the biggest here would like that hook.

Well I think that I did mention that I have made smaller hooks & that you can make them any size you want, but these hooks are good for catfish. The video was to demonstrate the making, not as a recommendation as to what sized hooks you should use for different fish.
Keith.

Reactions: JohnC and Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Does the cold forging harden the steel enough?

I have never created my own fishing hooks of this design, but I have done the version type a straught pin with both ends sharp, with the line gixed in the middle.
Small ones ( up to 1 cm) worked, but larger than that bent.
I did not cold forge, just bent so an eye is created in the middle, and filed the ends.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I recall seeing those flat ended hooks in a modern Mustad catalog.
What a technological triumph to make wire. I have some stamped square nails from furniture.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, still used. Experts say the hook/line interface is less bulky when a proper knot is used.

I do not know if the fish care?

Also, the tiniest hooks usually do not have an eye.
Some hooks are so tiny, I have wondered why people fish for such tiny fish.

Mustad make quality hooks, they are the only ones used up in Lofoten by the pro fishermen.
Their Stainless steel are apparently stronger and keep the point better than other brands, at a very good price point.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Coastal First Nations Paleo/Neolithic peoples always fished for Halibut and others.
Pacific Halibut can be big (100kg+) and fast carnivores. Big bone hooks in the UBC/MOA displays.
They did get some iron for centuries on the Japan Current but there's no evidence of hook-making.

Hard, cold rain today. Maybe I need my 1kg hammer, an anvil and some wire nails to fool with?
Monkey see, monkey do. Need to find that knot in a diagram.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for doing the search. There's nothing appropriate in Des Pawson's book = Knots, A Complete Visual Guide.
Nothing in the Mustad catalog, either.
Whipping Knot? I think that could be the knot, tied one-handed, for the heads on all my flies! I can do that.
I need to see it to get it straight in my tiny brain.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Ok, so you make a leader of brass wire which you tie to the hook with a veg fiber string?

Sorry to be stupid, but would it not be easier to only use another piece of brass wire?

I have a couple of old ( last half of 1800’) fishing books, and that tech is not there.
Maybe very old?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, it is called a leader too. It is the way it is attached to the hook I wonder about.
Quite a smart way, east to change hook, you just burn or cut away the string part!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE