Cold feet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Ok, seemed to have suffered with these for years, getting fed up of buying and trying different socks and combination of socks, different boots etc etc etc.

After 20 years of kneeling or sitting cross legged at work I have poor circulation in the feet. I can't abide cold or wet feet, makes the rest of me feel cold.

So, what do you guys furnish your feet with?

Please save me from freezing feet :cool:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Army issue arctic woollen socks or Ullfrotte 200 & 400g socks.

A good felt or wool liner in your boots is always nice to have, even folded newspaper helps when it's really cold.

I should also say that my mrs has Reynards syndrome which is the lack of circulation in her extremities. She used to suffer really badly just sat in the house with the heating on. She started taking a chinese medicine a couple of years ago and it's really helped. I think it's called something like ginkyo biloba but I'll check when she gets in.

Last edited:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'd certainly go for the woolen socks. Make sure your boots are not too tight. Sometimes this can restrict your circulation and your feet will get cold as a result. Same with hands and tight gloves.:)

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Cheers guys, think it could be the arctic socks, remember my dads from the services, just wish he still had them. As for boots, I always buy a size larger than my foot size to allow for thick socks etc, also careful with the lacing too.

Even today, in the van, relatively warm ish day and my tootsie's were frozen :(

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ive bought a set of snow boots for fishing like the moonboots of old basically they are a gortex style welly with fleece inside very comfy and waterproof and warm. They dont rub and are not heavy like a welly not sure id go hill walking for 20 miles in them though :-D

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have had cold feet all my life no matter where i have been in the world the best socks I have found, were in cabelas just before we took our float plane out to the candian wilderness

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I have seen nothing else like them they are so thick, I wear them with a pair of Le Cham Vierzonord Extreme Boots, lucklily le cham boots are wide as these socks would be too thick for regular boots

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Try a layer of newspaper pages, cut to the form of an insole and place them in your boots. Of course good socks and wear a cap, that´s where your feet´s warmth is lost.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Don't know if it will help or not, but when lacing my walking boots (the type that have hooks for the last two places for the lace to go), I skip the 1st hook (going upwards), go through the top hooks and then back down to the hook I missed and tie the bow on those. I find it ties the boots on securely, but not too tight at the top of the ankle. It may help if cutting off circulation is a problem?

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
Another vote for the Army artic socks
I bought some on Evilbay after a recommendation on here & they are excellent
I used to pay for expensive Bridgedale & other hiking socks but they're now redundant

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Just remembered that in times gone by farmers put a layer of dried grass or straw in the bottom of their boots. I have tried this and it works very well. If the grass gets wet or sweaty, just change it.:)

jenks

Aug 29, 2004
county durham
I aggree with Mastino's comment about a layer (or more) of newspaper. workmate who was in the Norwegian Army told me they do it too.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I use knitted wool socks. Like those on the picture (not my socks, pic taken from the net).

ullsokker.jpg

Sadly my stock of them have declined since my grandma passed away, but cheap, store bought ones also work well.

The tip about newspaper insoles are a good one. I use them alot when wearing wellies. A new sole each day.

Tor

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I can second those boots mike, tried them on in Cabelas, I was gonne get a pair shipped over when I got back but I lost the bit of paper with the size written on it. Abit miffed as they are superb boots, I needed the size bigger and wider from what i can remember but as to what size and width it was I just dont know, really annoying as I dont want to spend £200 on the wrong size of boots.

I dare say those boots would last a lifetime.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Do you want to wear walking-type boots ? If not, my vote would be a couple of pairs of wool socks then a pair of Tay Muckboots - but the Artic Sport version with the fleece liner inside the neoprene. Very very warm. Thick walking boot-type soles don't slip and keep the cold out. Loose fit will help circulation.

Personally I only have the regular Tay Muckboots, and these are very warm as it is. Although inclined to cold feet, I have never had cold feet in them with just one thin pair of socks, wandering about in freezing water and snow. I imagine the Artic Sport versions are ovens

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9140

NS

Last edited:

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
harkila expedition socks from bush wear. They get worn alot, i now have three pairs. Wear them under both climbing/hunting boots and my Lacrosse wellies

Sam

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Cheers guys, think I'll be starting cheapest and working my way up, best I go buy a newspaper :lmao:

Would love a pair of the Pronghorn's but SWMBO would throw a fit then :AR15firin so best I don't.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE