Cold Case (actually still warm) - who killed baby bunny? (dead things warning)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is a weird one - was out to shoot baby bunnies tonight and something had got a head start on me - abdomen and a lot of the rib cage intact, head intact, fore legs and upper torso removed.

Bunny Kit by British Red, on Flickr

I have an idea what did it but its just a guess so would be keen to hear thoughts

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stoats are few and far between around here - but there are other mustelids (weasels and mink)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It looks like a clean kill at the neck and then disturbed before eating much further; that's the style of a mustelid but it's a job to know, eh?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It looks like a clean kill at the neck and then disturbed before eating much further; that's the style of a mustelid but it's a job to know, eh?

Had it just been the head, sure, but the front legs and upper torso are gone ?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
What's the largest bore shotgun you've got Red? Was it a very close range shot and is the rest of thumper a slowly dispersing red mist near one of your vegetable patches?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What's the largest bore shotgun you've got Red? Was it a very close range shot and is the rest of thumper a slowly dispersing red mist near one of your vegetable patches?

Funny you say that as I did behead one with a tight choke a while back Adze :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yeah, feral cat would be a clean neck kill and they're neat and methodical eaters too, so that would make sense; I'm sorry to say that my knowledge of the hawks is zero, apart from the numerous Buzzard kill sites we get here :)

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Strange one that. I can't think of anything that would kill something and eat just the front legs. Maybe it's one for Mulder and Scully.

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
I agree, it's very likely to be a cat Hugh, one of the mustelids would have most likely dragged the carcass away to its den. They all have young around this time of year. A cat is probably the only predator bold enough to eat it in situ. Looks like a young 'un, so an easy kill for a feral (or domestic) cat..
A bird of prey often pulls out the fur to get to the good bit, so you sometimes see fluff around the kill.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
feral/escapee ferret perhaps - the only thing that would remove the front legs and leave the rest behind is perhaps an animal that has been disturbed and scared off the carcase, cats will play (torture) live rabbit and sit over them chewing on their ears, badgers will eat rabbits perhaps it was disturbed while eating to account for abandoned carcase (i personally know of one case where a badger feasted on a dead deer), fox too would have taken carcase away unless disturbed and if a snare caught rabbit would leave just the head behind, perhaps a buzzard or crow scavenging on dead carcase. ---- PS are you by a river, otter?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE