Red's cottage cold case. <Graphic dead bunny warning!>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My security lights and external PIRs got tripped about 10pm last night. When the alarm sounded I ent for a look around, but there was clearly no person around.

Had a good look around this morning and, at the base of one of the barns was a (very) dead bunny

Dead Rabbit 3 by British Red, on Flickr

Initially I thought the head was entirely missing. It wasn't.

From the other side you can see a large bite has been taken from the scruff of the neck and the neck broken

Dead Rabbit 2 by British Red, on Flickr

Straightened out you can see the head is left - but the spine is defunct

Dead Rabbit 1 by British Red, on Flickr

Anyone care to pick a killer?

Red

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
I would suggest that it has been killed by a bird of prey, due to the way the back of the neck has been opened and the eating has been in one localised area. It has had a feed and then had flown away. If it was dark though this could only have been an owl, and a rabbit is much too large a quarry for an owl.

A fox would probably have carried it away to eat somewhere else? Very strange

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
canine definitely when my dog catches rabbits she always starts eating the head first, birds of prey tend to be a bit more delicate when the yeat (not tearing it to bits)

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
thats been done by a dog hasnt it? i dont see how an owl could set off an alarm.
could it be a badger? i have heard of them being pretty nasty at times.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I could well be wrong, but I don't think anyone has picked what I suspect is the culprit yet.

An additional clue is that I live in the Fens of Lincolnshire

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
could it be a mink ?

....annd we have a winner! I could be wrong and if so, the prize goes to Sabot (who was certainly in the right group).

The reason I pick the mink is we don't really have the right habitat for stoat here. In my old place I would have said stoat. But here, there is a fair sized mink population and we are pretty certain that one has taken one of my neighbours chicken (seen in the immediate vicinity when chick was killed). Thats a couple of hundred yards away.

Pure speculation on my part rather than a definitive answer but a look at a stoat kill in this video - looks very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNbqvqf3-14

So I reckon mink, but if not a stoat on a long trip!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It was you wasn't it red!? Teaching those bunnies a lesson about trespassing ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE